Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Russell Butek <bu...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/01/29 16:19:05 UTC

Call.setProperty throws IllegalArgumentException?

I have an issue with Call.setProperty and I'd like to see whether others
share my concern.

Call.setProperty (and likewise Stub._setProperty, which calls
Call.setProperty) is required to throw IllegalArgumentException  for any
invalid names or values.  I don't have a problem with checking for invalid
VALUES for the standard names.  In other words, if a value associated with
a given name is supposed to be a given type, make sure it's that type.

My concern is, in a configurable system, what is an invalid NAME?  Anyone
can write handlers, and these handlers can do things based on properties
that they know about, but that the core runtime doesn't.  So how is a call
to Call.setProperty supposed to know when a name is invalid?  Are we
supposed to require handler writers to provide a list of their properties?

I would prefer that Call.setProperty and Stub._setProperty simply behave as
java.util.Properties does:  accept anything.

Would folks agree?  Should I bring this up with JAX-RPC folks?

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com