Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/05 07:26:41 UTC

Re: NB RC-3 Gradle Issues

Well, yes I usually pull Gradle upgrade when it is likely to have a GA
during the RC phase. Unfortunately this is not the case now.

Also I usually do not upgrade the bundled Gradle tooling libraries with
patch releases, if there is no fix in that area. The tooling shall be
back and forward compatible between Gradle versions to a certain limit.

Reverting back to Java 17 or 18 as IDE runtime would be a solution.
Though it seems this time we reached too deep into the Gradle internals
an got burned. That means you've found a real bug. Would you report it
on github? We might be able to do an RC4 for NB-16. Though it is
possible that it would be NB-17.

Re: NB RC-3 Gradle Issues

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
See https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/4923

Re: NB RC-3 Gradle Issues

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Re: NB RC-3 Gradle Issues

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 22/11/05 9:09 PM, Scott Palmer wrote:
> Somewhat related to the issue described already…
>
> My project wants to use JDK 19 features.
> Gradle 7.5.1 wants to run on something older, e.g. JDK 17.

I had a similar issue, the IDE used the wrong source version. The
problem was fixed, in my case, by explicitly setting the --source or
--release in compiler args and a PR that uses compiler args to override. See

    https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/4704

and the associated patch. Perhaps there's a solution for you in there.

-ernie

Re: NB RC-3 Gradle Issues

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Re: NB RC-3 Gradle Issues

Posted by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com>.

Re: NB RC-3 Gradle Issues

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 at 07:26, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, yes I usually pull Gradle upgrade when it is likely to have a GA
> during the RC phase. Unfortunately this is not the case now.
>
> Also I usually do not upgrade the bundled Gradle tooling libraries with
> patch releases, if there is no fix in that area. The tooling shall be
> back and forward compatible between Gradle versions to a certain limit.
>
> Reverting back to Java 17 or 18 as IDE runtime would be a solution.
> Though it seems this time we reached too deep into the Gradle internals
> an got burned. That means you've found a real bug. Would you report it
> on github? We might be able to do an RC4 for NB-16. Though it is
> possible that it would be NB-17.

This certainly sounds like it might be one to fix for 16, if doable.

I didn't see the original email (below) you replied to?!

I was planning a thread to discuss scheduling around Gradle
post-release.  Was happily testing NB16 on JDK 19 until I realised
that Gradle didn't work - most of my projects are Maven-based.  With
JDK release, then Gradle release, it seems like it'll be NB17 before
we can fully support running on (or for us, bundling with) JDK 19.
Currently that's going to be just a couple of weeks before JDK 20.

Is there anything we could change scheduling and/or tooling wise that
might improve that?

Best wishes,

Neil