Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2008/07/28 17:09:04 UTC

Squaring the circle - specs/tuscany features and user docs.

Looking through our user doc there is not much there that describes what
features are available and how to use them. Some have detail, e.g JMS [1],
some are non existent, e.g. Spring [2]. We (I) tend to get excited about
implementing spec features or implementing Tuscany extensions. Personally
when doing this I generally have a scenario in mind where I think the
feature would be useful. I think it would be good to record these scenarios
so others can read how we intended the software to work. I see we've started
doing this in a few places. Ant's JMS examples [1] are mini scenarios,
Luciano started adding scenarios to the Web2.0 roadmap ideas [3]. Also there
are some other scenarios associated with the databinding testing I think
Vamsi was doing [4].

I was thinking about some different types of scenario so I made some notes
[4]. I'm going to try and record Tuscany feature kind of info (maybe
directly into the user guide if no one objects) in an attempt to achieve the
following without having to think to hard about generating user docs
subsequently.

scenario -> helps define tests -> helps drive function -> most importantly
describes to the user how a feature works

Thoughts?

Simon

[1] http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-bindingjms.html
[2] http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-implementationspring.html
[3] http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-roadmap.html
[4] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Scenarios

Re: Squaring the circle - specs/tuscany features and user docs.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
I had not noticed your reply in gmail. You update helps make the write up
clearer. Thank you.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
In the write-up it says: