Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org> on 2005/08/19 23:19:28 UTC

New License terms for DCC/Razor2

>From the 3.1 features list:

- Razor: disable Razor2 support by default per our policy, since the
   service is not free for non-personal use.  It's trivial to reenable.

- DCC: disable DCC for similar reasons, due to new license terms.

Okay, I just looked over the sites for both those products, as well as the
wiki.  How has the license changed?  As a service provider, what do I need
to do to comply with that license?

-Dan

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 05:19:28PM -0400, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> Okay, I just looked over the sites for both those products, as well as the
> wiki.  How has the license changed?  As a service provider, what do I need
> to do to comply with that license?

You ought to ask the providers of those products.  We just call their
code.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"My cat's name is Mittens."

 	--Ralph Wiggum
 	  Lisa's Rival (Episode 1F17)

Re: New License terms for DCC/Razor2

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> From the 3.1 features list:
>

> - Razor: disable Razor2 support by default per our policy, since the
>   service is not free for non-personal use.  It's trivial to reenable.
>
> - DCC: disable DCC for similar reasons, due to new license terms.
>
> Okay, I just looked over the sites for both those products, as well as
> the wiki.  How has the license changed?  As a service provider, what do
> I need to do to comply with that license?

Razor -
http://razor.sourceforge.net/docs/doc.php?type=text&name=SERVICE_POLICY

Ask for clarification from the cloudmark folks on razor users. Their license
changed a long time ago, and it isn't well defined.

Basically, it looks like you have to pay if you fall in either of these categories:

1) reseller of appliances using razor
2) high volume user, where high volume is decided by cloudmark.

DCC -
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/LICENSE

DCC changed more recently, largely due to there being a patent on a good chunk
of DCC's fundamental concepts. On the plus side, they worked out a licensing
deal that's free for most people.

Basically, it looks like you have to pay if you do any of the following:

1) resell security or spam appliances using DCC
2) resell security or spam services using DCC
3) maintain a private DCC server that does not participate in flood exchange
with the global network.