Posted to dev@echarts.apache.org by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/31 04:15:35 UTC

Permission to use domain name

Hi,

I'm a member of Apache ECharts (incubating) PPMC and I'm sending this email
to ask the permission of the domain name echartsjs.com .

This domain name is currently owned by one of our PPMC members Yi Shen and
was used as EChart's official Website before ECharts joined ASF.

Now, the Website has a link to our official Website
http://echarts.apache.org/
and a clear statement that
"ECharts is now under incubation at the Apache Software Foundation. So this
domain
name is no longer in use. Visit echarts.apache.org please"

(The reason why we use links instead of redirecting is that the local Web
policy of
the echartsjs.com has certain restrictions on the content if it's
redirecting but not
if it's a link.)

And there is a Website https://gallery.echartsjs.com/ that enables users to
upload their work
of ECharts, which also have a clear statement as:
"This Website is a community contributed work of Apache ECharts
(incubating) and it is not
an official Apache ECharts (incubating) product."

We'd like to know if there are any branding issues with how we use the
domain names
echartsjs.com and gallery.echartsjs.com here?

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains.html

Thanks

*Ovilia*

Re: Permission to use domain name

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Some updates on the topic.
We are currently working on transferring to the new domain name and working
on the SSL certificate. Expected to be done in about one week or two.

Thanks

*Ovilia*

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Ovilia,

From a trademarks perspective the new domain name is unlikely to create

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
@Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org> said:

That should not be a problem! ... let's say the server is located at "
something-a38cf9.baidu.com" ... we can simply create a CNAME DNS record for
gallery.echarts.apache.org to point to that server. This is actually quite
normal for various apache.org hostnames. We point to servers located "off
premises" all the time. Then, echarts can create links to direct people to
gallery.echarts.apache.org. Solved!

We would appreciate it if Greg could give some further explanation on this.
Would it be a problem as mentioned by Sheng Wu?

Thanks

*Ovilia*

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> > Another thing I'd like to confirm here is that, would it be OK for the ASF that we use
> the domain name gallery.echarts.apache.org <http://gallery.echarts.apache.org/> for the gallery while keeping the code
> license and the ownership of the user data to be of Baidu?

Baidu rather than the project having the rights to the user data doesn’t really feel right to me.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Permission to use domain name

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Sorry to interrupt.

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to Dave and Kevin.
We will work on it.

In the meantime, if anyone has any questions upon other things related to
Apache ECharts (incubating)'s graduation, you are welcomed to raise them
up now.

Thanks

*Ovilia*

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Hi Ovilia,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
To be clear the domain shouldn't use Apache or echarts or anything
confusing.  Branding can help.more.on that.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhongxiang Wang <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dave!

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yi Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

--
Yi Shen

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benson,

We do have static official examples:
https://echarts.apache.org/examples/en/index.html

The source code is available at https://github.com/ecomfe/echarts-examples

This project is being under migration to the Apache organization on GitHub.
See JIRA here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20745

Thanks

*Ovilia*

Posted by Benson Muite <be...@emailplus.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi ECharts community,

On 03/09/2020 08:17, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> I can help transfer your domain and donate it to Apache.  Dropped a word
> there.

Please do not do this. The ASF is likely to decline such a donation.

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2020, 03:16 Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgrail@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     I would defer to trademarks.  I can help the domain and then donate
>     it to Apache.
>
>     On Thu, Sep 3, 2020, 03:10 Ovilia <oviliazhang@gmail.com
>     <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Thanks Mark!
>
>         We plan to buy a new domain name for it and not use
>         gallery.echartsjs.com <http://gallery.echartsjs.com>
>         any more.
>         But the process may take a few more weeks/months for domain name
>         registration
>         and migrating.

Again, I'd STRONGLY recommend that you move to an apache.org domain.

If the community is prepared to change the domain name then I don't see
any reason not to move to, for example, gallery.echarts.apache.org.

>         Can we not take this as a blocker for Apache ECharts (incubating)'s
>         graduation?

Whether ECharts graduates is a decision for the board.

>         What do Mark, Justin, and our mentors think about this?

If the podling is not prepared to move this site to the apache.org
domain then that is something that needs to be highlighted to the board.

Mark

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> We plan to buy a new domain name for it and not use gallery.echartsjs.com <http://gallery.echartsjs.com/>
> any more.

Trademarks will probably need to know the new domain name, you might want to get permission to use that new domain  before buying it.

> PMCs are very strongly discouraged from creating focal points for the
> project outside of the apache.org <http://apache.org/> domain.

The new domain would still an an issue because of the above. Why not use gallery.echarts.apaxche.org as suggested?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Permission to use domain name

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.