Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org> on 2020/02/10 13:45:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop connectors for Elasticsearch 2.x and 5.x

Hi all,

As described in this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-11720
ticket our elasticsearch 5.x connector does not work out of the box on
some systems and requires a version bump. This also happens for our e2e.
We cannot bump the version in es 5.x connector, because 5.x connector
shares a common class with 2.x that uses an API that was replaced in 5.2.

Both versions are already long eol: https://www.elastic.co/support/eol

I suggest to drop both connectors 5.x and 2.x. If it is too much to drop
both of them, I would strongly suggest dropping at least 2.x connector
and update the 5.x line to a working es client module.

What do you think? Should we drop both versions? Drop only the 2.x
connector? Or keep them both?

Best,

Dawid

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop connectors for Elasticsearch 2.x and 5.x

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@bigdataboutique.com>.
+1 from dropping old versions because of jar hells etc. However, in the
wild there are still a lot of 2.x clusters and definitely 5.x clusters that
are having a hard time upgrading. We know because we assist those on a
daily basis.

It is very easy to create an HTTP based connector that works with all ES
versions, though. As Elasticsearch consultants and experts we have done
that many times before. For example see this simplified client that has
zero dependencies and can be easily brought in to Flink to use as a sink
for all ES versions:
https://github.com/BigDataBoutique/log4j2-elasticsearch-http/blob/master/src/main/java/com/bigdataboutique/logging/log4j2/ElasticsearchHttpClient.java

Will be happy to assist in such effort

--

[image: logo] <https://bigdataboutique.com/>
Itamar Syn-Hershko

itamar@bigdataboutique.com
https://bigdataboutique.com
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/itamar-syn-hershko-78b25013>
<https://twitter.com/synhershko>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBHr7lM2u6SCWPJvcKug-Yg>

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop connectors for Elasticsearch 2.x and 5.x

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@bigdataboutique.com>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thanks for starting this discussion!

+1 to drop both

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thank you all.

I have proposed a PR to upgrade the ES5 connector:
https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/11162

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.
Sorry for late reply,

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Danny Chan <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
+1 for dropping them, this stuff is quite old by now.

Posted by Benchao Li <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 for dropping 2.x - 5.x.

--

Benchao Li
School of Electronics Engineering and Computer Science, Peking University

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop connectors for Elasticsearch 2.x and 5.x

Posted by Benchao Li <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 for dropping 2.x - 5.x.

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.