Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Manuel Aebischer <Ma...@netmodule.com> on 2014/04/17 15:26:23 UTC

10 seconds timeout before each operation involving network connection

I posted this already on the TortoiseSVN mailing list and it was
suggested to report it to the Subversion Users mailing list:

We are using TortoiseSVN (1.8.x) and the subversion command-line client
(1.8.8) on Windows7 clients together with a VisualSVN (2.5.x) Server
inside our company network. On some clients, there was a timeout of
about ten seconds before each operation which involved contacting the
server, e.g. commiting, updating, repo-browsing, etc. We analyzed this
behavior using WireShark and SysInternals procmon. In the end, we found
out that the problem exists only on clients with network adapters
showing "Unidentified Network"
such as virtual machine host adapters when no VM is running or network
adapters with wrong IP settings. When all these adapters are set to
disabled, the problem doesn't exist anymore and the transaction begins
within a second. Adapters, either physical or virtual, with unplugged
cables are no issue.
As a workaround, we tried to set the priority of the network adapter
connected to the company LAN to the highest value, but without any
success. The problem also exists with the command-line client delivered
with TortoiseSVN. Can someone reproduce this behavior?

Manuel

RE: 10 seconds timeout before each operation involving network connection

Posted by Manuel Aebischer <Ma...@netmodule.com>.
> Interesting. We are seeing an initial delay when doing commits
recently also
> using Tortoise. However, I'm 99% sure it started when I upgraded the
server
> from 1.7.x to 1.8.x. So, I can't see this being a client side issue.
However,
> I'd like to check. Where do you see "Unidentified Network" I did an
ipconfig
> /all and don't see that term at all even on the VMWare adapters.

The "Unidentified Network" term doesn't show up in ipconfig /all
unfortunately, but it shows up in the status column when you are looking
at "Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter
settings" in detailed list view. Adapters with cable unplugged show
"Network cable unplugged", adapters connected to a Windows domain show
the domain name, e.g. myCompany.intranet.

I did some anonymous test checkouts from googlecode subversion
repositories and there I can't see the problem. (2-3 seconds until the
file download begins seems reasonable through an internet connection for
me)

We had these issues before using 1.7.x clients and VisualSVN based on
1.6.x, it was the main reason for the upgrade to 1.8.x. The workaround
disabling these adapters when not in use is not so bad for the moment.

RE: 10 seconds timeout before each operation involving network connection

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.