Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de> on 2006/09/01 12:45:22 UTC

Strang problem with BSH - Need debugging help...

Hi all,

we have a strange problem with a BSH and no idea where the error could be.

We're retrieving data by using a delegator.findByPrimaryKey() and a
GenericValue is returned correctly. The data is put into a map by using
values.getString() calls.

The script works fine when it's called after a HTTP POST-request, but
after being called in a request chain after a service, we receive this
strange error:

-------------
org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
[component://srm/widget/CommonScreens.xml#Edit]:
org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error running BSH script at location
[component://srm/webapp/srm/WEB-INF/path/to/Fetch.bsh]:
org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error running BSH script at
[component://srm/webapp/srm/WEB-INF/path/to/Fetch.bsh], line [15]: Sourced
file: component://srm/webapp/srm/WEB-INF/path/to/Fetch.bsh : null : at
Line: 15 : in file: component://srm/webapp/srm/WEB-INF/path/to/Fetch.bsh :
issue .getString ( "srmIssueId" )
-------------

Stack trace:

------------
     [java] Target exception: java.lang.NullPointerException: Null Pointer
in Method Invocation
     [java] (Sourced file:
component://srm/webapp/srm/WEB-INF/actions/EditIssue/FetchIssue.bsh :
null)
     [java] org.ofbiz.base.util.BshUtil.runBshAtLocation(BshUtil.java:184)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ModelScreenAction$Script.runAction(ModelScreenAction.java:386)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ModelScreenAction.runSubActions(ModelScreenAction.java:116)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ModelScreenWidget$Section.renderWidgetString(ModelScreenWidget.java:238)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ModelScreen.renderScreenString(ModelScreen.java:135)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenRenderer.render(ScreenRenderer.java:106)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenRenderer.render(ScreenRenderer.java:91)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenWidgetViewHandler.render(ScreenWidgetViewHandler.java:78)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.webapp.control.RequestHandler.renderView(RequestHandler.java:603)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.webapp.control.RequestHandler.doRequest(RequestHandler.java:388)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.webapp.control.RequestHandler.doRequest(RequestHandler.java:343)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.webapp.control.ControlServlet.doGet(ControlServlet.java:183)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.webapp.control.ControlServlet.doPost(ControlServlet.java:79)
     [java] javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:615)
     [java] javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:688)
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
     [java]
org.ofbiz.webapp.control.ContextFilter.doFilter(ContextFilter.java:249)
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
     [java]
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
     [java]
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:541)
     [java]
     [java]
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
     [java]
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
     [java]
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
     [java]
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
     [java]
     [java] java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
------------

Line 15 from Fetch.bsh:

-------------
parameters.put("issueId", issue.getString("issueId"));
-------------

The problem is calling the method. At first I thought the problem might be
that issue is null, but it's really the correct result from the Entity
Engine.

Could anyone of you give me an advice how to debug this BSH? There must be
anything I could try in the core of OFBiz, but I don't know which class to
use. Shall I try to debug the BSH interpreter? Has perhaps anyone any
experience in doing that?

TIA! :)

Best regards,
Fabian aka "I'm getting crazy with this error" ;).

Re: Strang problem with BSH - Need debugging help...

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi all,

I could finally figure out what the error was: The values existed already in
the parameters-map. Now I check, whether the parameter is null and if it is
the value is taken from the entity and put into parameters. For luck now
everything works fine. :-)

>From my opinion this is a bug, on the one hand because the error message
is IMHO not usable and on the other can't I imagine a reason why overwriting
an existing parameter fails. Up to now we've had no problems when overwriting
parameters or stuff in the context or session. Is this perhaps, because a
service is in the request chain? The service itself has no output parameters.

Shall I open a ticket in JIRA or is the "read-only" behavior wished?

And Chris, sorry I've forgotten to thank you for supporting me. Thanks. :-)

Best regards,
Fabian

Re: Strang problem with BSH - Need debugging help...

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Chris Howe wrote:
> when you printed the value of issues and it gave the
> map, was your expected result in the map?

Yes, the expected result was in it. findByPrimaryKey() worked, this is
the next fact I forgot to mention in my last mail, which led me to the
assumption the toString()-method from GenericValue is inherited from
GenericEntity.

Re: Strang problem with BSH - Need debugging help...

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
attempting to place "issues" into the context map
results in the same error??  be aware this is
different than what you were doing earlier which was
placeing issues.getString("issueId") into the map.

If you placed "issues" into the context map, and it
returned null, then you issues is null :) and you're
trying to getString from a null object.  This is
different from getting a string from an object and the
result of getString being null.

ie

null.getString()
vs

issues.issueId=null;
issues.description="this is the issue"
issues.getString("issueId");

so the questions is...what does issues equal?

issues = ...?

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
My second not so elegant, but quick answer approach...

Can you put issues into context

ie.
context.put("issues" issues);

then either using freemarker print ${issues} to the
screen or using the screen widget
<label text="${issues}"/>
find out what object type issues is (either map,
generic value, etc)

--- Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> > Without getting my hands too dirty with your
> error,
> > have you tried entering the string that you expect
> > be returned instead of calling the method?
> >
> > ie
> > parameters.put("issueId", "12345");
> >
> > where you're expecting
> > issues.getString("issueId") = "12345"
>
> yes, I've tried this and it worked. The problem is
> the method invocation.
>
> But there is something which let's this problem
> becoming more strange:
> When switching the type of request on the
> success-response of the service
> (The service works fine, the problem is really just
> the BSH.) to
> request-redirect from request, I receive an
> ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException...
>
> Stack Trace:
>
> ------------
> 2006-09-01 13:11:16,439
> (http-0.0.0.0-8443-Processor1) [
> Http11Processor.java:910:ERROR] Error finishing
> response

> 	at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
>
> 	at

org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.write(InternalOutputBuffer.java:689)

> 	at

org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.sendStatus(InternalOutputBuffer.java:428)

> 	at

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.prepareResponse(Http11Processor.java:1604)

> 	at

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.action(Http11Processor.java:962)

> 	at
> org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:180)
>
> 	at

org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.endRequest(InternalOutputBuffer.java:388)

> 	at

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:906)

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi Chris,

> Without getting my hands too dirty with your error,
> have you tried entering the string that you expect to
> be returned instead of calling the method?
>
> ie
> parameters.put("issueId", "12345");
>
> where you're expecting
> issues.getString("issueId") = "12345"

yes, I've tried this and it worked. The problem is the method invocation.

But there is something which let's this problem becoming more strange:
When switching the type of request on the success-response of the service
(The service works fine, the problem is really just the BSH.) to
request-redirect from request, I receive an
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException...

Stack Trace:

------------
2006-09-01 13:11:16,439 (http-0.0.0.0-8443-Processor1) [
Http11Processor.java:910:ERROR] Error finishing response

	at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)

	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.write(InternalOutputBuffer.java:689)

	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.sendStatus(InternalOutputBuffer.java:428)

	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.prepareResponse(Http11Processor.java:1604)

	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.action(Http11Processor.java:962)

	at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:180)

	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.endRequest(InternalOutputBuffer.java:388)

	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:906)

	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)

	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)

	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)

	at

	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.