Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/01 12:22:55 UTC

[graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Guys,

in the midst of his wedding preps Thien has provided a new version where
the breadcrumb bar is a flat solid color now, rather than a glossy
rounded bar. I've taken the liberty to change the shade to the same
color as the "getting" boxes.

And I've removed the French flag (only saw the messages of Sylvain and
Betrand after the upload of this version).

Here's the link:

http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final4.html

The only issue left now (AFAICK) is Peter Hunsberger's mentioning of the
"pastel" colors of the blocks in the masthead.

I've turned this around and asked Thien to explain why he thinks these
colors work best.

-----

Since there will not be any major changes in the design and our opinions
I think we can conclude that the "masthead project" is finished. To be
precise: the project is finished when
a) we agree with Thien's arguments for the current colors;
b) Thien changes the colors and we all can agree with that.

I would like to go on and get the entire site redesigned (which is
pretty much where we're going anyway). This means:

- identify which elements need redesigning (e.g. tables, warnings, code
blocks (<pre>) and such)
- get Thien and Niclas to agree on doing the additional work

WDYT?

-----

On another level: there's the content. Let's pick the low hanging fruit
here and make the 'PMC site' complete and up-to-date. This means:
- identify what information goes there
- remove duplicate information from the various versions
- verify all information and add/update if necessary

WDYT?

Bye, Helma

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by Jeroen Reijn <j....@hippo.nl>.
Hi all,

I'm not sure if these problems still occur in these new two version, but
I found two bugs in the design in IE6. My current resolution is
1280x1024, but even after resizing the window it stays the same. I
normally work with FireFox 2.0, but I had IE 6.0 open this morning which
showed me these flaws.

The news header appears at the wrong position and the Cocoon logo is
probably a PNG. Transparent PNG's don't work in IE6 :-(

A screenshot can be found here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~reijnj/images/screenshot.jpg

Regards,

Jeroen Reijn

Posted by Thien <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 3/1/07, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final4.html...

> ...the project is finished when
> a) we agree with Thien's arguments for the current colors;
> b) Thien changes the colors and we all can agree with that...

The current design is plenty good enough for me at this point, no need
for any change IMHO (provided it works cross-browser, I havent' tested
that).

> ...On another level: there's the content. Let's pick the low hanging fruit
> here and make the 'PMC site' complete and up-to-date. This means:
> - identify what information goes there
> - remove duplicate information from the various versions
> - verify all information and add/update if necessary...

Would you be able to coordinate this effort, and ideally create some
Jira issues to indicate what needs to be done? This might help in
splitting this work in smaller chunks - I have small bits of time here
and there that I could contribute to make this happen, but not enough
sustained capacity to coordinate it.

-Bertrand

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 02 March 2007 16:50, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>   - Thien, your CLA was properly recorded by the ASF secretary. In order
>     to make your contribution official, I would like to ask you to add
>     the final layout to a JIRA issue. I'm sure that Niclas can help you
>     with that, otherwise don't hesitate to contact my in private.

Ok, will try to remember to get that done on Monday or Tuesday, when Thien
says he is back at work (long honey moon ;o) ).

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On 3/2/07, Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> ...  - Native speakers should proof-read at least the "PMC site"....
>
> Sorry for being thick, but what's the "PMC site"? URL?

The term "PMC site" was introduced by Vadim some time ago refering to the
general information about the Cocoon project and answers questions about getting
started, getting better, getting involved. Except from the getting started
information everything else is not version specific. My plan was that the
getting started guide contains information about the most recent version of Cocoon.

Go to http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/ and imagin it in combination with
the new design ;-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:

> On another level: there's the content. Let's pick the low hanging fruit
> here and make the 'PMC site' complete and up-to-date. This means:
> - identify what information goes there

my proposal can be found at http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/ with the
one exception that I will follow Jorg's advice of merging the two "How to
contribute" and the two "Tools that we use" documents and as Antonio proposed,
we should state very prominent that we are an open source project.

> - remove duplicate information from the various versions

what versions do you mean?

> - verify all information and add/update if necessary

definitly. And don't forget that some information is generated by some Maven
reports (mailing lists, developers & PMC list, scm connection, issue tracker,
licensing infomration)

> WDYT?

Three additions:

  - We need the new design as Maven skin. This isn't difficult but
    still work that needs to be done. Helma, I know we talked about
    it at Amsterdam last year, but I can't remember whether you want
    to do it or not. Most of the work consists of writing a Velocity
    template

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
I think the suggestions that have been made to date have all resulted in
a page that looks better, and good on you all for contributing them. But
at this stage, it feels like you are arguing over the color of the
bikeshed[1].

After all these rounds of feedback and integration, wouldn't it be
better to just go with what you have? You'll never be able to please
everyone, so trying for complete consensus is doomed to failure. If
people decide the design needs tweaking later, then that can be done.
But it seems to me that getting it out there as soon as possible
(subject to Thien's availability) is more important than getting it
perfect on the first try.

Just thought I'd offer an outside perspective.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 3/1/07, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> in the midst of his wedding preps Thien has provided a new version where
> the breadcrumb bar is a flat solid color now, rather than a glossy
> rounded bar. I've taken the liberty to change the shade to the same
> color as the "getting" boxes.

Better, but it still looks detached, could you try the color as the
background of the Cocoon logo or something similar, the dark blue
would contrast with the breadcrumb text and I think integrate better
with the rest of the page?  It might not be any better, you can
probably judge pretty quickly by yourself...

<snip/>

> The only issue left now (AFAICK) is Peter Hunsberger's mentioning of the
> "pastel" colors of the blocks in the masthead.

This is no big deal, I am certainly ok with the current colors.  I
just suspect that using some bolder colors (in maybe just a couple
blocks) might punch things up.  In a way I'd sort of like to see the
major colors of the thematic elements of the site repeated in the
blocks colors.  It would be a subliminal way of suggesting
reusability, but that might be getting a little carried away.  It's
hard to tell if it would help any since we've never seen any
comparisons...

--
Peter Hunsberger

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
hepabolu napisał(a):
> Grzegorz Kossakowski said the following on 1/3/07 14:15:
>> Could folks working on this give any rough timetable?
>
> You have to keep in mind that the website is not fully 'done' yet.
> Apart from the masthead and the current front page some elements such
> as table styles etc. are missing. And I won't make the mistake of
> assuming I can design it 'similar' to the rest, since up to now
> Thien's versions were much better.
>
> The 'bottleneck' is now Thien's availability. He's getting married
> soon and apart from that we need to know if he's allowed/willing to go
> the extra mile.
We cannot treat this great news as bottleneck (even in quotation marks)! :)
There are affairs important and more important, we can wait.

> OTOH: if you only want to show screenshots, I could add enough of the
> content to the current 'final4.html' page to get a realistic impression.
It would be helpful defending the statement that C2.2 is fresh, and
something really is happening. I will ask you for this while preparing
to the presentation (it's planned for the beginning of April).

I was going to not repeat the others but cannot refrain... Thanks guys
for you great work! ;-)

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Torsten Curdt napisał(a):
>> The only issue left now (AFAICK) is Peter Hunsberger's mentioning of
>> the "pastel" colors of the blocks in the masthead.
>
> I prefer the pastel colors
Same here.

Would be great to have redesigned site before my giving my presentation
about C2.2 for Warsaw's Java User Group. There will be a lot of people
that would become seriously interested in Cocoon, but their enthusiasm
would be dampened easily by our website afterwards :(

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
>> > The only issue left now (AFAICK) is Peter Hunsberger's mentioning
>> > of the "pastel" colors of the blocks in the masthead.
>>
>> I prefer the pastel colors
>>

> Hey, no fair voting twice using different e-mails ;-p

Sorry, thought the other one would bounce.

> Seriously, how do you know you wouldn't like bolder colors better? We
> never never seen any alternatives...

...well, use your imagination :) But seriously - I am old to know my
preferences ;)

...plus I find pastel less distracting from the real content.
Although the design is really nice do not forget that the focus of
the site should be the content.

My 2 cents
--
Torsten

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@gmail.com>.
> The only issue left now (AFAICK) is Peter Hunsberger's mentioning
> of the "pastel" colors of the blocks in the masthead.

I prefer the pastel colors

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - final4

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.