Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by David Tinker <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/16 15:12:59 UTC

Commit log on USB flash disk?

Our hosting provider has a cost effective server with 2 x 4TB disks
with a 16G (or 64G) USB thumb drive option. Would it make sense to put
the Cassandra commit log on the USB thumb disk and use RAID0 to use
both 4TB disks for data (and Ubuntu 12.04)?

Anyone know how long USB flash disks last when use for a write heavy
workload like this?

Please tell me if this is a really bad idea.

Our alternative is to use one 4TB disk for commit log and one for
data. Of course this will give us only half the space.

Thanks
David

Re: Commit log on USB flash disk?

Posted by David Tinker <da...@gmail.com>.
Not using a commit log at all isn't something I had considered. We may
very well be able to do that for our application. Thanks.

--
http://qdb.io/ Persistent Message Queues With Replay and #RabbitMQ Integration

Re: Commit log on USB flash disk?

Posted by Tupshin Harper <tu...@tupshin.com>.

Posted by Philippe <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Tinker <da...@gmail.com>.
Hmm. That "device about to die" write latency signature is
interesting. I have pinged our hosting company asking for specifics as
to exactly what USB thumb drive they supply.

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
In our testing USB tends to be slower. If there is something more integrated internally would give you better performance

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Dan Simpson <da...@gmail.com>.