Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Joshua, C.S. Chen" <cs...@asiaa.sinica.edu.tw> on 2006/03/24 09:14:30 UTC

2nd mail server problem

Hi folks,
I am using spamassassin 3.1.0 and it works well. Now in my institute, we
have 2 mx (mail servers) see it's dns record

myinstitute.edu.tw. 300 IN MX 100 mail2.myinstitute.edu.tw.
myinstitute.edu.tw. 300 IN MX 2 mail1.myinstitute.edu.tw.

Now in most cases, spam goes to mail1 and got dropped. This is great.
But then the spam tries to go ahead for mail2, and I did not enable
mail2 for spamassassin (because it is mainly for redundancy, and not
powerful enough). This makes mail2 extremely busy to send reply to the
spammer of user unknown or other reporting messages.

My question is, if I don't want mail2 to run spamassassin, just for
relaying messages to mail1 (as it's main purpose--redundancy), how can I
configure mail2 "NOT TO" reply the spammer for the undelivery?

Thanks in advance
Joshua C.S. Chen

Re: 2nd mail server problem

Posted by Vincent Li <vi...@gmail.com>.
On 29-Mar-06, at 12:11 AM, Joshua, C.S. Chen wrote:

>  Looks like I have to enable SA in the 2nd server. It might be a spam
> hole if the spam sent to 2nd first, then forcily relayed to the
> primary.

If you are running postfix MTA on your 2nd server, you can map your
email user list of main MTA server to your 2nd server (configure
relay_recipient_maps parameter in main.cf) , the non-exist email
address will be rejected immediately at SMTP session.

>  Thanks for all your opinions
>
>  Cheers
>  Joshua

Actually, you don't need to run a 2nd server for redundancy, if your
main MTA is off line, legitimate sender MTA will queue it's email and
try later, you would not lost email.

Vincent

Re: 2nd mail server problem

Posted by "Joshua, C.S. Chen" <cs...@asiaa.sinica.edu.tw>.
Hi all,
  Here is my conclusion:

  Many experts seem to have this same opinion: To enable 2nd, 3rd,,,etc
mail server the same defence (antivir, antispam) as the primary one.
Because the spamer knows the weak point/path to spam.
  So I decide to 'join' all the experts that post the above idea.

Thanks for your comments and help

Cheers
Joshua

Re: 2nd mail server problem