Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/09 19:26:08 UTC

Alpha release soon ...

I'm interested in creating an alpha release soon.  I'm just dealing
with some of the remaining issues w.r.t. the build.

As an alpha release, I hope people would be ok with a few limitations:
- Just Maven artifacts, no binary/source
- No Maven quickstart archetype
- No "site reports" beyond JavaDoc  (I'll miss the code coverage report, though)

These issues would be corrected in a later alpha or beta release.  The
point is to roll out something that many people can use, to start
identifying problems in the rather large internal changes under the
covers.  I know I could keep adding new features forever, but it might
be better to draw a line in the sand, get a 5.3 out in the next few
months, and focus on a 5.4 for 2012.

This might also be a good time to review what goes into the binary
release. Currently, its the Tapestry jars and their dependencies,
including the Antlr runtime, and Javassist (for the meantime) and some
of the Hibernate and Spring modules.  To be honest, I'm not sure if
that's entirely legit (especially the Hibernate modules) and perhaps
we should limit the JARs to tapestry-core & its dependencies, but the
JARs for tapestry-hibernate and tapestry-spring w/o the Hibernate and
Spring dependencies.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Alpha release soon ...

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
I honestly don't know. My guess is that as long as a user is able to build
Tapestry from it it's OK. This doesn't mean it has to include all build
scripts and external dependencies though.

I'll check tomorrow.

Uli

Re: Alpha release soon ...

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM, "Ulrich Stärk" <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> We only provide binaries as a convenience, what we release is the source
> code (see last paragraph at [1]). So unless we release the "source
> materials needed to make changes to the software being released", we can't
> make a release.

Do you think that the sources JAR distributed as a Maven artifact
beside the binary JAR is sufficient (for an alpha release, in any
case)?

> You are also right about the licensing issues. We must not ship binaries
> containing Category-X licensed code [2] but we may under certain
> circumstances link to it, e.g. if it only affects a sub-module and the
> main product is usable without that. So yes, the goal should be to remove
> Category-X licensed binaries from our distributions and notify users of
> the dependencies and where to get them, e.g. inside a Maven POM and/or on
> our website.
>
> Uli
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
> [2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x
>
> Am Do, 9.06.2011, 19:26 schrieb Howard Lewis Ship:
>> I'm interested in creating an alpha release soon.  I'm just dealing
>> with some of the remaining issues w.r.t. the build.
>>
>> As an alpha release, I hope people would be ok with a few limitations:
>> - Just Maven artifacts, no binary/source
>> - No Maven quickstart archetype
>> - No "site reports" beyond JavaDoc  (I'll miss the code coverage report,
>> though)
>>
>> These issues would be corrected in a later alpha or beta release.  The
>> point is to roll out something that many people can use, to start
>> identifying problems in the rather large internal changes under the
>> covers.  I know I could keep adding new features forever, but it might
>> be better to draw a line in the sand, get a 5.3 out in the next few
>> months, and focus on a 5.4 for 2012.
>>
>> This might also be a good time to review what goes into the binary
>> release. Currently, its the Tapestry jars and their dependencies,
>> including the Antlr runtime, and Javassist (for the meantime) and some
>> of the Hibernate and Spring modules.  To be honest, I'm not sure if
>> that's entirely legit (especially the Hibernate modules) and perhaps
>> we should limit the JARs to tapestry-core & its dependencies, but the
>> JARs for tapestry-hibernate and tapestry-spring w/o the Hibernate and
>> Spring dependencies.
>>
>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry

>> (971) 678-5210
>> http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Alpha release soon ...

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
Never mind, I read your links and see that it must be packaged.

Re: Alpha release soon ...

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alpha release soon ...

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Spring is AL v2 so no problem there as well. Hibernate is LGPL though so
it's OK if we link to it from tapestry-hibernate, but we may not
distribute Hibernate with our distributions.

Uli

Re: Alpha release soon ...

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm pretty sure that Javassist and Antlr use MPL or BSD licenses, not
category-x.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM, "Ulrich Stärk" <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> We only provide binaries as a convenience, what we release is the source
> code (see last paragraph at [1]). So unless we release the "source
> materials needed to make changes to the software being released", we can't
> make a release.
>
> You are also right about the licensing issues. We must not ship binaries
> containing Category-X licensed code [2] but we may under certain
> circumstances link to it, e.g. if it only affects a sub-module and the
> main product is usable without that. So yes, the goal should be to remove
> Category-X licensed binaries from our distributions and notify users of
> the dependencies and where to get them, e.g. inside a Maven POM and/or on
> our website.
>
> Uli
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
> [2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x
>
> Am Do, 9.06.2011, 19:26 schrieb Howard Lewis Ship:
>> I'm interested in creating an alpha release soon.  I'm just dealing
>> with some of the remaining issues w.r.t. the build.
>>
>> As an alpha release, I hope people would be ok with a few limitations:
>> - Just Maven artifacts, no binary/source
>> - No Maven quickstart archetype
>> - No "site reports" beyond JavaDoc  (I'll miss the code coverage report,
>> though)
>>
>> These issues would be corrected in a later alpha or beta release.  The
>> point is to roll out something that many people can use, to start
>> identifying problems in the rather large internal changes under the
>> covers.  I know I could keep adding new features forever, but it might
>> be better to draw a line in the sand, get a 5.3 out in the next few
>> months, and focus on a 5.4 for 2012.
>>
>> This might also be a good time to review what goes into the binary
>> release. Currently, its the Tapestry jars and their dependencies,
>> including the Antlr runtime, and Javassist (for the meantime) and some
>> of the Hibernate and Spring modules.  To be honest, I'm not sure if
>> that's entirely legit (especially the Hibernate modules) and perhaps
>> we should limit the JARs to tapestry-core & its dependencies, but the
>> JARs for tapestry-hibernate and tapestry-spring w/o the Hibernate and
>> Spring dependencies.
>>
>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry