Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2007/10/18 00:40:36 UTC

[Studio] Eclipse Rich Ajax Platform (RAP)

Hi Dev,

I've just discovered a new project at the Eclipse Foundation that has
graduated from incubation and released its 1.0 release: Eclipse Rich Ajax
Platform (RAP): http://www.eclipse.org/rap/

Take a look at the demos provided here: http://www.eclipse.org/rap/demos.php

That's very impressive... Eclipse look and feel inside a Web brower...

Maybe it could be interesting to take a closer look at that and see if it's
not possible to deliver two implementation of UI for our plugins, one with
SWT and one with RWT. The core could be the same and we could only rewrite
the UI for each platform.

Regards,
P-A

Re: [Studio] Eclipse Rich Ajax Platform (RAP)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 10/23/07, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> wrote:

> The good news is, it can be very flexible and easy to develop a light
> weight AND a rich client with the SAME code, with just a switch of target
> plaform when compiling the classes and a simple dependencies replacements in
> the MANIFEST.MF file.

:)

The bad news is, not all the SWT classes have been ported yet to Ajax UI
> classes so most of our existing plugins won't work with RAP.

:(

So I think, this can be interesting to look at an administrative application
> for Apache DS that could be deploy as an RCP Application but also as a RAP
> Application (which could be launched with the server using Jetty).

Excellent!

So, Alex, you're right... "we better embed Jetty into ApacheDS soon"

It's a good thing we have this on the roadmap.  It's not at all anything
that is difficult to do.  I had already done this
for Triplesec so it's just another task for us.

Thanks for the excellent news and thorough research into this new
technology.  This certainly fills a void and has
a practical use for us at a very low cost.  I like that combination :).

Alex

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Alex,

I just tested it and I have bad news and good news...

The good news is, it can be very flexible and easy to develop a light weight
AND a rich client with the SAME code, with just a switch of target plaform
when compiling the classes and a simple dependencies replacements in the
MANIFEST.MF file.

The bad news is, not all the SWT classes have been ported yet to Ajax UI
classes so most of our existing plugins won't work with RAP.

I tried to adapt the LDAP Browser to the RAP prerequisites but, we're using
too many classes that have not been ported yet and the code have thousands
of errors that we can't fix.

However, I managed to get the Apache DS Configuration Plugin almost working
inside RAP.
Here are some screenshots of what it looks like :
http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/ApacheDSConfInRAP/
<http://people.apache.org/%7Epamarcelot/ApacheDSConfInRAP/>
You can compare these screenshots to the "real" Rich Client Platform result
with the screenshots on this page :
http://directory.apache.org/studio/screenshots.html

It looks almost the same.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, sure !

It seems to be a really good idea !

On 10/18/07, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> wrote:
> Hi Dev,
>
> I've just discovered a new project at the Eclipse Foundation that has
> graduated from incubation and released its 1.0 release: Eclipse Rich Ajax
> Platform (RAP): http://www.eclipse.org/rap/
>
> Take a look at the demos provided here:
> http://www.eclipse.org/rap/demos.php
>
> That's very impressive... Eclipse look and feel inside a Web brower...
>
> Maybe it could be interesting to take a closer look at that and see if it's
> not possible to deliver two implementation of UI for our plugins, one with
> SWT and one with RWT. The core could be the same and we could only rewrite
> the UI for each platform.
>
> Regards,
> P-A

Cordialement,