Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/01/19 14:34:22 UTC

[PROPOSE] RM for 4.14.1 and 4.15.1

Dear All,

I’d like to put myself forward as the release manager for 4.14.1.0 and 4.15.1.0.

For 4.14.1.0 my colleague Abhishek Kumar (@shwstppr) will assist me during the process for reviewing/testing/merging the PRs, others will be welcome to support as well. Given work on 4.14.1.0 milestone has been already going on for months (alongside 4.15.0.0) with about 70 PRs merged and only few outstanding (https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/milestone/15), and given it's a minor release I propose for a freeze and cut 4.14.1.0 RC1 in WC 1 Feb 2021 which should give us two more weeks to stabilise 4.14 branch.

For 4.15.1.0, I propose we have a window of at least 8 weeks (2 months) to allow community and users to test 4.15.0.0 and report issues, and aim to cut RC1 in Q2 2021 (in April or onwards). I'll propose timeline and details after 4.14.1.0.

Given the release cadence and activity, I also propose that we work on these .1 releases in sequence before we discuss 4.16 to avoid fragmentation of our focus, which may be more sensible to aim in Q3 2021 (July 2021 onwards) and give us around 4-5 months to work on major features and changes and stabilise master.

Finally, these two are minor releases the specific branches must avoid any major changes or features that would ask operational risk and impact for users, but may include changes specified in the LTS wiki [3] (operations and infra maintenance and support such as a support for hypervisor support, guest OSs etc). As a community member, I will try to help get PRs reviewed, tested and merged (as would everyone else I hope) but with an RM hat on I would like to see if we can make that role less effort intensive and put the onus back on the community to get stuff done. You may ping me (@rhtyd) and Abhishek (@shwstppr) on your PRs and issues for PRs and issues that are or need to be in 4.14.1.0 and 4.15.1.0 milestone.

I hope to have your support. Any thoughts, feedback, comments? Thanks.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Release+Procedure
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/LTS
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Releases

Regards.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.14.1 and 4.15.1

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
All,

It's been more than two weeks since the proposal, and we've tested and merged several bugfixes towards the 4.14.1.0 milestone [1] which has gotten more than 90 fixes/PRs/issues already.

As of today, we don't have any critical or blocker issue or PR on the milestone and the last smoketest run (kicked yesterday) has passed, i.e. no regressions are seen. Therefore, I think we can cut 4.14.1.0 RC1 on Monday or sometime next week depending on no blockers/critical issues. Any objections or suggestions to include any other issues/PRs?

[1] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/milestone/15

Thanks and regards.

________________________________

Nicolas.Vazquez@shapeblue.com