Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by mwestlake <mw...@rogers.com> on 2003/10/08 05:55:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Forms not working while on http://localhost

Hi people,
    I'm new to the mailing list and I'm in need of some help from savvy
guys/gals like you.  Im currently developing for a new company and am using
Windows xp, Apache2.0.47, Mysql4.0.15, and Php4.3.3 on my laptop for simple
testing.
    I have done all the standard tweaking for apache's httpd.conf and
php.ini and everything works except forms on localhost., ie communicating
with database and parsing the php.  The forms on the other hand, more
specifically all logon forms on every site to edit any site on for example:
http://localhost/site/login.php with our CMS (content Mgmt sys) we made, do
nothing.  It just appears to refresh the page when you hit submit.  So I go
in the php script and switch up the variables with real login info and it
logs in fine, this makes me think its not passing the variables. we don't
use a cgi-bin just form action=$PHP_SELF and it seems I'm the only one
having this problem.  We compared our conf and ini files several times and
got no where and logging in with my boss' database through our CMS to edit
the content is no problem.  I know I said this already but not even the
simplest form will function, not even something like Enter you name:  and
then reports it as Your name is:     .
    All day today, and well into tonight, my theories have bounced back and
forth, "Its apache...nope...its php...nope...its apache...hmm...its driving
me crazy....yes"  Also spent hours searching news groups and many forum
archives but I came up with nothing that was completely relative to Windows,
apache, mysql, php.  I tried some of thier ideas anyway.  Nothing seemed to
work.
    If you have ever heard of this happening please write back.  God...I
know its probably something so stupid too!  So please, anyone whos dying to
make me feel stupid let me know what I've overlooked.

Thanks in advance
Mike

P.S.  Its not disk web,  I am typing http://localhost/anysite/login.php

Re: [users@httpd] Forms not working while on http://localhost

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.
You are sure PHP is working?  You say the login script works if you
hard-code the username and password.  Check your access and especially error
log for info about PHP when you try to login with variables there instead of
hard-coded values.  Maybe provide a snippet of code you're using, and the
log files when you try to access it.  Was the PHP app written for PHP prior
to 4.1.0?  Some things changed in the way PHP accesses some predefined
global variables.  Get the PHP manual in CHM format from http://php.net/ and
search for "predefined variables".

Leif

Posted by Tim Wesemann <ti...@voicenet.com>.
>> It just appears to refresh the page when you hit submit.

Just a shot in the dark -- this really sounds like you should try changing
"register_globals" to "on" in your php.ini, and also make *sure* that your
php.ini is in the right place. Call phpinfo() and see where it's looking for
your php.ini file.

--
Timothy G. Wesemann
Voicenet Systems Administration