Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by mfaine <mf...@knology.net> on 2004/12/10 17:11:04 UTC

practical difference between 'backingbean' and bean

I'm reading Core JavaServer Faces by David Geary and Cay Horstmann.  The
authors sugest using backing beans rarely if ever and when I asked Mr.
Horstmann about it I was never able to get a clear answer to this question:

Isn't the difference academic?.  I can't see how you can write a complete
JSP site without mixing some presentation and business logic.  Could anyone
explain to me  how this is possible?

Thanks,
-Mark

Re: practical difference between 'backingbean' and bean

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.
Backing beans, as defined in Core JSF, are beans that maintain
references to components in a page. As we point out in the book,
sometimes it's necessary to do that; for example, to validate multiple
fields at once in a page.

As a general rule, you should use backing beans sparingly because it
ties your beans to your components.

david geary

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
> The authors sugest using backing beans rarely if

what did they write exactly? I don't know the book
(its content...)

-Matthias