Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Qingsheng Ren <re...@apache.org> on 2022/11/01 09:29:30 UTC

[SUMMARY] Flink 1.17 Release Sync 11/1/2022

Hi devs and users,

I'd like to share some highlights about the 1.17 release sync on 11/1/2022.

- The release sync is scheduled for biweekly Tuesdays at 9am (Central
European Standard Time) / 4pm (China Standard Time).

- Retrospective for 1.16: a discussion [1] is opened by Matthias for
collecting feedback about the last release cycle.

- Release tracking page: @committers please update the page [2] in the
coming week

- CI stabilities / blockers: PR for FLINK-24119 is opened and waiting for a
green CI and review.

- Martijn is working on a handbook for release managers, which could also
benefit RMs in future releases.

- Tickets for new contributors: we encourage committers to add a "starter"
label in easy-to-fix tickets as described in Flink Jira Process [3], which
is helpful for new contributors to find the correct path.

The next release sync will be on November 15th, 2022.

Google Meet: https://meet.google.com/wcx-fjbt-hhz
Dial-in: https://tel.meet/wcx-fjbt-hhz?pin=1940846765126

Best regards,

Leonard, Matthias, Martijn and Qingsheng

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/ypt6m3qm6rh5jvhg53jvm1qpyy58mpxp
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.17+Release
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Jira+Process

[SUMMARY] Flink 1.17 Release Sync 11/15/2022

Posted by Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com>.
Hi devs and users,

I’d like to share some highlights about the 1.17 release sync on 11/15/2022.

- Release tracking page:
     - The community has collected some great features on the 1.17 page[1]
     - @committers Please continuously update the page in the coming week

- JIRA account apply :
      - Martijn updated the issue tracking flow[2][3]
      - Users without JIRA account can follow this doc[2][3] to apply JIRA account as well join as Flink contributor

- Blockers:
    - Blocker FLINK-29387 has been fixed
    - PR for blocker FLINK-29315 is opened and waiting for review.
    - Blocker FLINK-29818 is reopened, Yang Wang is looking into this ticket

- Build stability: Number of growing test stability issues with “Exit code 137 errors”
    - Matthias and Qingsheng investigated the memory issue due to multiple azure agents on one machine use too much resources
    - We’ve reduced the agents number from 7 to 5, let’s keep an eyes on this issue.
    - Leonard offered a workaround to skip slack clickable issue in slack #builds channel

The next release sync will be on November 29th, 2022.

Google Meet: https://meet.google.com/wcx-fjbt-hhz
Dial-in: https://tel.meet/wcx-fjbt-hhz?pin=1940846765126

Best regards,
Martijn, Qingsheng, Matthias and Leonard

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.17+Release
[2] https://flink.apache.org/community.html
[3] https://flink.apache.org/zh/community.html

[SUMMARY] Flink 1.17 Release Sync 11/15/2022

[SUMMARY] Flink 1.17 Release Sync 12/13/2022

Posted by Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com>.
Hi devs and users,

I’d like to share the highlights about the 1.17 release sync on 12/13/2022.

- Release tracking page:
     -  1.17 development is moving forward [1], we have 5 weeks remaining
     - @committers Please continuously update the the progress in the 1.17 page

- Externalized Connectors :
      - flink-connector-aws v4.0.0 released
      - flink-connector-pulsar v3.0.0 started the VOTE
      - flink-connector-kafka PR is reviewing

- Blockers:
    - Blockers FLINK-28766 and FLINK-29461 have been FIXED
    - FLINK-29405 - InputFormatCacheLoaderTest is unstable OPEN
      Qingsheng will have a look at the PR
    - FLINK-26974 - Python EmbeddedThreadDependencyTests.test_add_python_file failed on azure OPEN
      Xingbo is working on this
    - FLINK-18356 - flink-table-planner Exit code 137 returned from process REOPENED
      Leonard will ping Godfrey to take a look
    - FLINK-27916 - HybridSourceReaderTest.testReader failed with AssertionError REOPENED
      Martijn will ping Thomas once more

- How to have monitoring and quality control for the externalized connectors?
  Martijn will make a proposal and open a dev discussion.

- Will the feature freeze date be affected by COVID and Spring Festival holiday?
  Leonard will discuss with Chinese devs firstly and then make a proposal if needed before the next release sync.

The next release sync will be on December 27th, 2022, feel free to join us  if you are interested!