Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by André Reiter <ma...@areiter.net> on 2016/04/07 13:44:27 UTC

Thrift version compatibility

Hi community,

i could not find an answer to my simple question, so I'll try to get it here.
Currently we are running java based client/server applications using apache thrift version 0.9.0. So all stubs were generated using this version, libthrift version 0.9.0 is used http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Corg.apache.thrift%7Clibthrift%7C0.9.0%7Cpom<http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|org.apache.thrift|libthrift|0.9.0|pom>

Now we need to upgrade the server to the newer version. at least to 0.9.2 or better to the newset one 0.9.3
due to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-2551

Do we need to upgrade all clients out there, or will it be compaitble with older clients ?

Thanks a lot in advance
André

Re: Thrift version compatibility

Posted by Matt Chambers <mv...@me.com>.
If you don’t have a set of unit tests that exercises every client/server call you have, that is a good place to start for testing this stuff since regardless of what people’s policy is on compatibility, bugs can occur.  I uncovered a random issue with 0.9.3 java server and 0.9.0 c++ clients concerning the binary type which luckily broke a ton of tests.

-Matt