Posted to announce@apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/02/01 14:19:20 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpCore 4.2-beta1 Released

The Apache HttpComponents project is pleased to announce the release of
HttpComponents HttpCore 4.2-beta1. This release ships with an improved
asynchronous protocol handling API and new non-blocking client and
server HTTP protocol handler implementations. New API is expected to be
more flexible especially for writing HTTP proxy or gateway type of
services.

Upstream projects are encouraged to evaluate the new API and give
feedback.

Sample application shipped with the release include an example of an
HTTP file server capable of direct channel (zero copy) data transfer and
an example of a non-blocking, fully streaming reverse proxy.

Download -
<http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
Release notes -
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpcore/RELEASE_NOTES.txt>
HttpComponents site -
<http://hc.apache.org/>

About HttpComponents Core -
HttpCore is a set of low level HTTP transport components that can be
used to build custom client and server side HTTP services with a minimal
footprint. HttpCore supports two I/O models: a blocking I/O model based
on the classic Java I/O and a non-blocking, event driven I/O model based
on Java NIO. The blocking I/O model may be more appropriate for data
intensive, low latency scenarios, whereas the non-blocking model may be
more appropriate for high latency scenarios where raw data throughput is
less important than the ability to handle thousands of simultaneous HTTP
connections in a resource efficient manner.