Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU> on 1998/08/06 20:42:12 UTC

bug db idea?

Hmm.

I was recently reading through the FAQ, and I had a thought. Technical
question 3 says, regarding the bug database:

    If you find that your issue has already been reported, please don't
    add a "me, too" report. If the original report isn't closed yet, we
    suggest that you check it periodically.

To make this more convenient, perhaps we should add an "add my email
address to the list of people to notify when this PR changes" option?

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>

Re: bug db idea?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
You know, we could use subaddressing to improve the bugdb.  For example,
mail sent to pr-1234@apache.org would automatically be logged with
PR#1234, and sent to all the folks interested.  That way it doesn't need a
well-formed subject line... it might work better.  We would only have to
instruct people to make sure the To: address is right when they send info,
they wouldn't need to get the subject right.

The reason I'm thinking of this is that if you do add multiple email addrs
to a PR, it's possible we'll end up with large unweildy lists of addresses
on some PRs.  By pr-1234@apache.org would be almost like a little
mini-mailing list...

Dean

Re: bug db idea?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: bug db idea?

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to snyland@workfire.com:

>  What does the Apache Group want people to do when they run a bunch of tests
>  related to a specific PR that was already reported by someone else and they
>  then have additional information for you?  The docs indicate that you don't
>  want to see a whole new PR, so how should a second tester tell you more
>  details?

By sending a mail to apbugs@apache.org with the subject of the original
PR and of course the additional information.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                  - "Don't interrupt me while I'm interrupting."
sfx@unix-ag.org                                          (Winston S. Churchill)

Re: bug db idea?

Posted by "snyland@workfire.com" <sn...@workfire.com>.
What does the Apache Group want people to do when they run a bunch of tests
related to a specific PR that was already reported by someone else and they
then have additional information for you?  The docs indicate that you don't
want to see a whole new PR, so how should a second tester tell you more
details?

This happened once to me already & I ended up posting all the test results to
new-httpd because it seemed like you were not getting feedback from the
original reporter of the problem.  I don't think the PR was ever closed,
although the problem was downgraded on the Apache 1.3 STATUS mailing in the
Win32 release showstoppers section.  Can you not close a PR if the original
tester is not responding and a number of other programmers and/or testers are
sure that the problem is fixed or cannot be reproduced with a properly
configured system?

Re: bug db idea?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
+1