Posted to user@giraph.apache.org by Gianluca Righetto <gi...@menttis.com> on 2014/03/14 21:26:47 UTC

GSoC 2014 - Strongly Connected Components

Hello everyone,

I've been working with Giraph for some time now and I'd like to make some contributions back to the project through Google Summer of Code.
I wrote a project proposal to implement an algorithm for finding Strongly Connected Components in a graph, based on recently published research papers. The main idea of the algorithm is to find clusters (or groups) in the graph and it's arguably more insightful than the currently available Connected Components algorithm.
So, if there's any Apache member interested in mentoring this project, please, feel free to contact me.
And any kind of feedback will be greatly appreciated.

You can find the document in Google Drive here: http://goo.gl/1fqqui

Thanks,
Gianluca Righetto

Re: GSoC 2014 - Strongly Connected Components

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.
In my brief look at the GSoC page, I didn't see anything against it.
Why not? =)

Avery

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.
I think this would be great.  Thanks Mirko.

Avery

Posted by Gianluca Righetto <gi...@menttis.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Gianluca,

thanks for sharing your ideas and sending your proposal.
Your approach sounds promising and I am very interested
in supporting your work.

I am not an official member of the Apache Giraph project
at the moment, so my question goes to Avery:
Would it be possible for me to become a mentor for Gianluca's project?

Best wishes
Mirko

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is a great idea.  Unfortunately, I'm a little bandwidth limited, but
> I hope someone can help mentor you!
>

> On 3/14/14, 1:26 PM, Gianluca Righetto wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I've been working with Giraph for some time now and I'd like to make some
>> contributions back to the project through Google Summer of Code.
>> I wrote a project proposal to implement an algorithm for finding Strongly
>> Connected Components in a graph, based on recently published research
>> papers. The main idea of the algorithm is to find clusters (or groups) in
>> the graph and it's arguably more insightful than the currently available
>> Connected Components algorithm.
>> So, if there's any Apache member interested in mentoring this project,
>> please, feel free to contact me.
>> And any kind of feedback will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> You can find the document in Google Drive here: http://goo.gl/1fqqui
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gianluca Righetto

Mirko Kämpf

*Trainer* @ Cloudera

tel: +49 *176 20 63 51 99*
skype: *kamir1604*
mirko@cloudera.com

Re: GSoC 2014 - Strongly Connected Components

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gianluca Righetto <gi...@menttis.com>.
Thanks for the link Aapo!
Even though there are probably some differences in the actual implementation of a GraphChi algorithm with a Giraph one, this is going to be helpful. Also, I would like to investigate a potential improvement for the algorithm in that paper which basically consists of removing as many vertices as possible in the Trimming phase (in some cases, as soon as you remove a vertex, there might appear other vertices that could be removed). If this proves correct, I'd be glad to share more thoughts with you so you could do the same for GraphChi (assuming you haven't tried this yet).

Thanks again!
Gianluca Righetto

Posted by Aapo Kyrola <ak...@cs.cmu.edu>.
Hi Gianluca,