Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Arnaud Bailly <ab...@oqube.com> on 2007/02/04 10:48:39 UTC

Maven shell

Hello to all,
I wonder if there exists or if someone is working on a Maven shell: an
application that would load a pom (or poms) once, do all the
initialization work then wourd accept maven commands or some kind of
language allowing for modification of the pom.

regards,
--
OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
Arnaud Bailly, Dr.

Re: Maven shell

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day,

What would happen during the initialization, and what kind of modifications
are you referring to? :)

Thanks,
Franz

Re: Maven shell

Posted by Nigel Magnay <ni...@gmail.com>.

> > I did something simple in .net (mostly because when I go near the
> > maven codebase, the vast array of poorly documented dependences like
> > plexus scares me and I don't have the time to figure it all out),
> > but
>
> That's also what is refraining me ! I love using maven, I think the
> people behind it did a great job, but contributing on your spare time
> is somewhat challenging as coding information is lacking, particularly
> as you noted it on related projects.

I think the documentation is getting better - it's a shame that maven
has a whiff of wheel-reinventing going on which is disappointing
(plexus not spring, wagon not vfs) - which means these technologies
have to be grasped that are *only* useful to maven. I gave up trying
to fix bugs because the barrier to entry is just too great for the
time I have :-(

> > I think a decent editor that didn't force people to hack XML would be
> > nice, as well as the ability to do things like
> > - detect possibly unneded dependencies
>
> Could you please elaborate on this ? Do you think about something like
> extracting dependencies from compiled classes and inferring unused
> deps ?

That kind of thing would be good, but also something simple like A and
B are both modules of C, and all have dependency X, so you couild
remove it.

> > - "promote" common dependencies to a parent pom
>
> Something like easy <dependencyManagement> ?

Yes - exactly that.

> > - UI for setting up common plugins (compile, report, assembly)
> >

> Could you please elaborate on this one too ?

What I've got is :
Tree View on left hand side, with hierarchy of POM projects (modules
shown as children).
Click on a POM item, right-hand-side is tabbed dialog, with various
sections (build, dependencies, plugins, etc).

For plugins, it'd be nice to have a GUI for setting up, say,  reports,
with textboxes to fill in rather than having to remember the right XML
values.

> BTW, did you try the pomtools plugin ?

Yep - the tree looks rather like what I did for the dependencies view.
I'm after more of a GUI thing - I find some stuff like the archetype
generator is useful, but I use it so rarely that in the interval
between uses I've forgotten all the required parameters, and it ends
up taking me longer tracking them down than crafting a new POM from
adjusting a similar existing one...

Re: Maven shell

Posted by Arnaud Bailly <ab...@oqube.com>.
"Nigel Magnay" <ni...@gmail.com> writes:

> I actually had a related issue - our project is comprised of many jar
> and war fragments and, good though the jetty plugin is, it's helpful
> when debugging webapps in eclipse when hotswap fails (which is
> always), to be able to have it automatically copy changed class files
> into the running application. The existing eclipse integrations (last
> time I looked) seemed to concentrate on replacing the IDE compile
> function with maven which is a total non-starter, because it takes
> *forever*.

Never used.

Re: Maven shell

Posted by Nigel Magnay <ni...@gmail.com>.
[...]

delivered as an eclipse plugin would be useful.

Re: Maven shell

Re: Maven shell

Posted by "Manuel J. Recena Soto" <re...@eii.us.es>.
Hi!
El 04/02/2007, a las 17:42, Eric Redmond escribió:

> I've not heard of anything... are you interested in creating one?

More than a shell-tool I believe that it would be interesting to
create something similar to VirtualAnt [1].
I would like to have time and collaborator to make something thus.

regards

[1] http://www.placidsystems.com/virtualant/

--
Manuel J. Recena Soto
* www.manuelrecena.com[/blog]

Re: Maven shell

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
I've not heard of anything... are you interested in creating one?

On 2/4/07, Arnaud Bailly <ab...@oqube.com> wrote:

> Hello to all,
> I wonder if there exists or if someone is working on a Maven shell: an
> application that would load a pom (or poms) once, do all the
> initialization work then wourd accept maven commands or some kind of
> language allowing for modification of the pom.
>
> regards,
> --
> OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
> Arnaud Bailly, Dr.
> \web> http://www.oqube.com

Eric Redmond
http://codehaus.org/~eredmond

Re: Maven shell

Posted by Roland Klein <ro...@mtg-marinetechnik.de>.
Tim Kettler schrieb:
> Am Sonntag, den 04.02.2007, 10:48 +0100 schrieb Arnaud Bailly:
>> Hello to all,
>> I wonder if there exists or if someone is working on a Maven shell: an
>> application that would load a pom (or poms) once, do all the
>> initialization work then wourd accept maven commands or some kind of
>> language allowing for modification of the pom.
>>
>> regards,
>
> Hi,
>
> there is the pomtools-maven-plugin [1] in the mojo sandbox.
>
> -Tim
>
> [1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/pomtools-maven-plugin/overview.html

this seems to be a nice tool, but i didn't find it in ibiblio, repository.codehaus.org,
snapshots.codehaus.org.
could anybody point me to the correct repo?
Or do i have to compile it myself?

Roland

--
Roland Klein
Tel: +49 40 65803 209

MTG Marinetechnik GmbH - Wandsbeker Koenigstr. 62 - D 22041 Hamburg

GF Dipl.-Ing. Ullrich Keil
Handelsregister: Abt. B Nr. 11 500 - Amtsgericht Hamburg Abt. 66
USt.-IdNr.: DE 1186 70571

Re: Maven shell

Posted by Arnaud Bailly <ab...@oqube.com>.
Thanks, that look really like what I am looking for ! I will
investigate a little bit more on it.

regeards

Re: Maven shell

Posted by Martin Gilday <ma...@imap.cc>.
Thanks,
I checked out the source and installed it.  Was all working until it
comes to saving the modified POM when a java.lang.NoSuchFieldException:
modelCache fatal error occurs.  Looked useful until that point, so
should be very useful when their TODO list is finished.
I will have a look on the mojo list.

Thanks,
Martin.

Posted by Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu>.