Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/25 17:00:15 UTC

Trunk Builds

A search of emails shows that our last successful automated build of
trunk was on May 26th. I know that there have been increasing
frustration with these recent build issues. We seem to be closing in
on getting these issues resolved. I built last night. I built
successfully, last night, but had 7 testsuite failures -- 3 jetty, 4
tomcat.

I think it would do us a lot of good to have a concerted effort to get
these final issues resolved. Here are the test failures that I'm seeing:

3 common errors:

[INFO] The following tests failed:
[INFO]     * console-testsuite/advanced - /Users/kevan/geronimo/server/
trunk/testsuite/console-testsuite/advanced/build.log
[INFO]     * enterprise-testsuite/sec-tests - /Users/kevan/geronimo/
server/trunk/testsuite/enterprise-testsuite/sec-tests/build.log
[INFO]     * webservices-testsuite/jaxws-tests - /Users/kevan/geronimo/
server/trunk/testsuite/webservices-testsuite/jaxws-tests/build.log

1 Tomcat unique failure:

[INFO]     * web-testsuite/test-tomcat - /Users/kevan/geronimo/server/
trunk/testsuite/web-testsuite/test-tomcat/build.log

Is this consistent with what others are seeing?

--kevan

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jul 2, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 1, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to make things work and behave the same for ejb-based web
>>> services as for servlet-based web services. I have a similar
>>> security
>>> tests to jaxws-ejb-sec for servlet-based web services - see
>>> jaxws-war-sec. Take a look at /basicAllowGet example in web.xml. It
>>> has one http-method specified (POST) and auth-method is configured
>>> BASIC. That allows me to perform GET on the service without any
>>> security but POST request will require BASIC auth. So if that's how
>>> are things working for web-based services I would like to have the
>>> same behavior for ejb-based services.
>>
>> I'm not very happy with what we can configure now.  With a web app,
>> you can
>> have lots of security constraints but IIUC for ejb ws you can only
>> have one.
>>  So with a single web security constraint, say you restrict POST to
>> require
>> CONFIDENTIAL and auth.  That means that non-POST requests are
>> completely
>> unconstrained both for transport and for auth.  In a web app you
>> can have
>> more constraints so that e.g. there's still transport guarantee.
>>
>> If we imitate this with ejb constraints  but only allow a single
>> constraint,
>> then adding a http method into the mix mostly unsecures everything
>> else.  I
>> don't think this is a good idea.  I think there are 2 reasonable
>>
>> 1. if we only allow a single constraint, only grant the permissions
>> from
>> that constraint.... everything else is prohibited.  This is nearly
>> the
>> opposite of what servlet constraints do.  This is pretty easy to
>> implement.
>> 2. allow full web-like multiple security-constraint elements
>> although we'd
>> ignore the role-constraint mapping since the ejb security ought to
>> be more
>> meaningful.  This is more complicated to implement, but might not
>> be exactly
>> difficult.
>>

> I don't understand why a single security constraint in web should be
> handled differently then a single security constraint in ejb. Bottom
> line is that we do want to provide an option for unsecure access for
> GETs to retrieve the wsdl and secure access for all other HTTP
> methods. The issue is mainly with the javax.xml.ws.Service API where
> you have to pass a service wsdl url to create an instance of it but
> there is no easy way to specify what authentication method and/or
> credentials to use to retrieve that wsdl. And once you have the
> Service instance there is an easy way to configure the
> credentials/authentication method on the port object for the
> invocation (the POST, PUT, etc. requests).

Since there are an infinite set of http methods now,  you can't secure
all non-GET requests with one servlet 2.5 security constraint.  I'm
not sure if there's a syntax for servlet 3.0 web.xml to exclude GET
requests but apparently you can do it on servlets with annotations.
So I don't know how to produce this effect for POJO ws but its pretty
easy for ejb ws with two permissions.

If the only use case is the binary choice between

-- secure all requests with transport guarantee and authentication
-- secure all non-GET requests with transport guarantee and
authentication but allow all GET requests with no transport guarantee
or authentication

then I think a flag in our xml would be more appropriate than what we
have now.

Are there other choices?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jul 1, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> David,
>
> I'm trying to make things work and behave the same for ejb-based web
> services as for servlet-based web services. I have a similar security
> tests to jaxws-ejb-sec for servlet-based web services - see
> jaxws-war-sec. Take a look at /basicAllowGet example in web.xml. It
> has one http-method specified (POST) and auth-method is configured to
> BASIC. That allows me to perform GET on the service without any
> security but POST request will require BASIC auth. So if that's how
> are things working for web-based services I would like to have the
> same behavior for ejb-based services.

I'm not very happy with what we can configure now.  With a web app,
you can have lots of security constraints but IIUC for ejb ws you can
only have one.  So with a single web security constraint, say you
restrict POST to require CONFIDENTIAL and auth.  That means that non-
POST requests are completely unconstrained both for transport and for
auth.  In a web app you can have more constraints so that e.g. there's
still transport guarantee.

If we imitate this with ejb constraints  but only allow a single
constraint, then adding a http method into the mix mostly unsecures
everything else.  I don't think this is a good idea.  I think there
are 2 reasonable options:

1. if we only allow a single constraint, only grant the permissions
from that constraint.... everything else is prohibited.  This is
nearly the opposite of what servlet constraints do.  This is pretty
easy to implement.
2. allow full web-like multiple security-constraint elements although
we'd ignore the role-constraint mapping since the ejb security ought
to be more meaningful.  This is more complicated to implement, but
might not be exactly difficult.

thoughts?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
David,

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
David,

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Shawn,

Looks like my copy of dojo-release-1.1.1-mini.zip was outdated and
files were wrapped in an extra "dojo" directory. Once I updated it the
extra "dojo" directory disappeared. I updated the DOJO_BASE in
ConfirmMessageTag.java.

Thanks,
Jarek

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.

*

--
Shawn

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Shawn,

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.

--
Shawn

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Shawn,

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
If the test is wrong, tomcat run-as propagation logic must have bug because
Tomcat testsuite with the same case passed.

--
Shawn

Re: Trunk Builds

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.