Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Ryan Lambert <rl...@zantaz.com> on 2002/08/07 18:29:45 UTC

SOAP Real World Prototype Report

Hello SOAP-ers

I wanted to share with you all some positive feedback in a forum that is
filled with problems and solutions.

I have been using SOAP for a while now ( since the early days back in late
2001 ) and have been using it to build an API for one of my company's
products.

I can report that the initial prototype was met with great surprise and
excitement and the use of SOAP has great potential for my company as we move
towards production with the next release of our product.

Let me give all those of you who might be wondering if it is all worth the
effort, or those of you who are still struggling with this slippery protocol
some hope.

I started out knowing nothing and with some simple instruction through
online tutorials, brute force trial & error, and this forum of course, I was
able to write my very first "Hello SOAP World" application. I had TCP Trace
running capturing all the traffic and was able to see my data pass along the
wires, this was quite exciting...

I then started looking at a component of our product that was an obvious
first choice as a prototype subject and went to work building a complete
client that interfaced via SOAP with the server that then plugged into the
existing product. The server code became the first version of the company
product API and the client, simply a visual example of how others might
interface with and use the API.

I am currently working on the rest of the API and have managed to keep most
of the data simple enough so that I have not had to send complex objects via
SOAP. The client application is complete and provides almost every possible
function & feature supported by our product, all via the SOAP interface API.

Thanks to all those who have worked on SOAP and provided support and
assistance to the many developers out there !

Good Luck to you all and enjoy working on the edge of technology :-)

Regards
Ryan Lambert
Senior Software Engineer
ZANTAZ

This e-mail has been captured and archived by the ZANTAZ Digital Safe(tm)
service.  For more information, visit us at www.zantaz.com.
IMPORTANT: This electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or directly reply to the original message(s) sent.  Thank you.