Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by dcz <dc...@phpbb-seo.com> on 2012/01/10 13:55:52 UTC

possible bug when building a diff of a subset of a comparison between a tag and branch

Hello,

I already posted this on the tortoise ML (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2906737) and the only answer I got was that this should be reported here.
I've been reading you all since a while now, and actually registered on the tortoise ML to post this bug report, so I am aware that this may be (and as far as I can tell really looks like) a pure tortoise bug, but just in case this rings a bell here, I take the risk.

Also, since this may be usefull, the SVN server is 1.7.2 using TortoiseSVN 1.7.3, Build 22386 - 64 Bit.

Here the original message :

I was comparing a tag with trunk, this worked when I asked for the
entire diff (~10mo), but got this when I only selected a subset of the
files (I just selected all files listed in revision comparison and
dropped two directories with their content in the list).

Surprisingly, the diff continued to build after I clicked Ok on the
error message, the exact same error poped up 6 more times, and the
operation continued after I clicked ok again.
It resulted in a ~3Mo diff file, which looks incomplete (the last
working one was bigger).
And even more surprising, I just do not have any D:\Development\
directory on my local win7x64, and the remote SVN is installed on free
bsd so I really doubt that this path could come from there.

Subversion reported the following
(you can copy the content of this dialog
to the clipboard using Ctrl-C):

In file
   'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.3\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_client\diff.c'
   line 1651: assertion failed (*target1&&  *target2)
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Re: possible bug when building a diff of a subset of a comparison between a tag and branch

Posted by dcz <dc...@phpbb-seo.com>.
Le mercredi 11 janvier 2012 15:32:11, dcz a écrit :
> Le mardi 10 janvier 2012 13:55:52, dcz a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I already posted this on the tortoise ML
>> (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2906737)
>> and the only answer I got was that this should be reported here.
>> I've been reading you all since a while now, and actually registered
>> on the tortoise ML to post this bug report, so I am aware that this
>> may be (and as far as I can tell really looks like) a pure tortoise
>> bug, but just in case this rings a bell here, I take the risk.
>>
>> Also, since this may be usefull, the SVN server is 1.7.2 using
>> TortoiseSVN 1.7.3, Build 22386 - 64 Bit.
>>
>> Here the original message :
>>
>> I was comparing a tag with trunk, this worked when I asked for the
>> entire diff (~10mo), but got this when I only selected a subset of the
>> files (I just selected all files listed in revision comparison and
>> dropped two directories with their content in the list).
>>
>> Surprisingly, the diff continued to build after I clicked Ok on the
>> error message, the exact same error poped up 6 more times, and the
>> operation continued after I clicked ok again.
>> It resulted in a ~3Mo diff file, which looks incomplete (the last
>> working one was bigger).
>> And even more surprising, I just do not have any D:\Development\
>> directory on my local win7x64, and the remote SVN is installed on free
>> bsd so I really doubt that this path could come from there.

>> Subversion reported the following
>> (you can copy the content of this dialog
>> to the clipboard using Ctrl-C):
>>
>> In file
>> 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.3\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_client\diff.c'
>>
>> line 1651: assertion failed (*target1&& *target2)
>> ---------------------------
>> OK
>> ---------------------------
>>

> Update :
> Tortoise participant seems pretty convinced that this is an svn bug
> (check the link in my previous mail).

I may not have used the best title or did something wrong to report,
but I really tried my best.

Could someone highlight me on this ?

Re: possible bug when building a diff of a subset of a comparison between a tag and branch

Posted by dcz <dc...@phpbb-seo.com>.

Posted by dcz <dc...@phpbb-seo.com>.
Le 15/01/2012 09:16, Daniel Shahaf a écrit :
> Forwarding back to list.
>
> dcz wrote on Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 09:02:06 +0100:
>>>
>>> Those errors virtually always represent a bug in Subversion.
>>>
>>> I do not find a record of this particular error in the last 6 months of
>>> issues@/users@ mail. Please search the issue tracker, and if there is
>>> not already a bug logged about this problem, then file one. If you can,
>>> please include a complete reproduction recipe (starting from creating
>>> a repository:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/site/publish/docs/community-guide/repro-template.bat).
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Apparently, there is no report on this : http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/buglist.cgi?long_desc_type=fulltext&long_desc=1651
>>
>> (I tried many keywords combos before narrowing down to the line #)
>>
>> Though unfortunately, I honestly have no idea of the actual svn
>> commands triggered by tortoise on this particular operation, so I
>> don't know where to start to fill the issue template.
>>
>> I already asked for this in the tortoise svn ML, with no luck so far.
>>
>> The step by step procedure on tortoise is :
>>
>> 1 - open the revision graph
>> 2 - select tag&  last trunk rev
>> 3 - compare revision
>> 4 - select all files listed
>> 5 - unselect some of them (like I said, few files from within two
>> directories)
>> 6 - ask for the diff for this subset of file (note, this was not a
>> feature in tortoise 1.6.x)
>> 7 - boom, get the error message
>>
>> Problem is, I'm not even 100% sure that the operation was not in the
>> end successful since the error does not break the operation and the
>> diff is in the end displayed.
>>
>> The working copy went upgraded from latest 1.6 to 1.7.3 with no
>> errors, and I was able to commit / update many times before I
>> eventually ran into this issue.
>>
>> I will cross post this mail in the hope someone from tortoise will
>> provide with more details.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Fabrice

Oups, I hit the wrong button sorry.

Anyway, I investigated a bit more on this and found out something new.

The described operation indeed works perfectly if there are no deleted
files between the two rev (the tag part does not seems to matter).

When it fails, it actually only fails when comparing from the comparison
list, if I directly ask for a diff from the rev graph, it works without
errors.

When using the comparison window, it actually fails even if I select one
single deleted file and ask for the diff, but if I select this same file
and ask for a compare, it opens my editor in compare mode with one empty
side (as expected).

When I ask for a diff on all file listed, I get what seems to be a valid
diff but with no reference to the deleted files.

And, I could not make a compare between the diff obtained while
selecting all files (the one with errors) and the same diff obtained
from the rev graph because the file order was no the same, but it really
looks like only the deleted files diffs are missing.

Hope this helps

Fabrice

Re: possible bug when building a diff of a subset of a comparison between a tag and branch

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Forwarding back to list.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.