Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net> on 2000/07/12 06:03:53 UTC

XRI requirements

Here's a quick copy-and-paste list of the proposed
XRI/Spinnaker/Xerces-2/X2/XRay requirements which have been discussed by
various people over the last few days.  (Ok, I just threw in "X2" and
"XRay"!;)  I did some light editing for clarity.  I probably missed a few!

If folks would like me to do more with the proposed requirements list,
please let me know and I'll propose some procedures and (better!)
formatting.  But I suspect that it may be desirable to have a more
well-known and experienced person recording the proposed requirements.  It's
clearly a sensitive area where a person widely believed to be impartial
would be very valuable.

Regardless... what's missing?

-Ed Staub

FEATURES and STANDARDS COMPLIANCE
---------------------------------

Validating XML 1.0 support

Namespace support

SAX2 support

DOM Level 2 support

XML Schema support

XPath support

XInclude support

Write validation of a DOM tree or revalidation

Grammar access for both DTD and Schema.

Document-order indexes or API as a DOM extension.

[optional] isWhite() method as a DOM extensions (pure telling of
whether or not the text contains non-whitespace), for performance reasons.

Serialization support, as is currently in Assaf's classes.

PERFORMANCE
-----------

No significant speed penalty for unused features, notably validation.

Best-of-breed performance across all JIT's (not just Hotspot).

Grammar caching, pre-compiled grammar can be cached to validate instance
documents over and over again without re-reading the DTD and Schema file or
even compile it.

A configurable parser, in line with the requirements of Modularity and
pluggable Validator somebody posted before.  Not only should the validator
be pluggable, but also if there is a need for a parser without validation at
all, there should be some parser configuration which is really lightweight
and just scans, checks well-formedness, and generates SAX2 events.  Or even
fancier, a brand new functional module can be plugged in BETWEEN components
as long as it implements certain interfaces.  [Eric Ye]

Mid to upper range validation performance across all JVMs.

Read-only, memory conservative, high performance DOM subset (for Xalan et
al)

Parsing in chunks [Scott Boag]

A reasonable core (fast!) upon which to layer JDOM [Brett M.]

Some sort of weak reference, where nodes could be released if not
referenced, and then rebuilt if requested.  For performance and memory
footprint.

Some sort of way to tell if a SAX char buffer is going to be
overwritten, so data doesn't have to be copied until this occurs.

Small core footprint for standalone, compiled stylesheet capability, for
use on small devices.  This would need to include the Serializer.  I'm not
sure if this should really be a separate micro-parser?

Smallest possible size. This means small distribution size (JAR
file) and small memory footprint.

OTHER QUALITIES
----------------

Clarity of design and code sufficient to encourage wide participation.
Code should always be readable and maintainable.

Design portable to C++ (or elsewhere)

More documentation on the Apache web site not only for users but for
DEVELOPERs.

Testcases for both conformance and benchmarking.

===============================

NOMINAL NON-REQUIREMENTS:

Someone stated, without dissent (yet!), that these do not need to be
supported:

	SAX 1 support

RE: XRI requirements - and overdefensiveness in OpenSourceLand...

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 07:21 AM 7/17/00 +0200, Paulo Gaspar wrote:

>> Point being, we have not necessarily adequately captured culture
>> and respect
>> when we employ English. I'm thinking that the broad use of English, which
>> exemplifies current American mores, is maybe always not so good. Maybe we
>> should respect attempts to use native languages. I am personally
>> capable of
>> reading French and German, and responding in kind (sometimes
>> brokenly), and
>> of course I can do Estonian. :-) Portuguese is beyond me. :-)
>
>Estonian is beyond me.
>=:o)

It should be beyond most reasonable people. We have 14 verb cases, and
pronounciation that defies belief. :-)

We also don't need pronouns. We can compress sentences into one word. :-)
And we have some nice umlauts: try pronouncing "o~un" properly, or "po"an",
or "raukusno~drameelsus". :-)

Actually, Italian won a prize back in the '30's for being the world's most
mellifluous language. Estonian was second.

>I think English is still the easier one. I have learned rudiments of German
>and Dutch but these are so difficult for a latin. But even being a latin,
>English was much easier to learn for me than French.
>
>As many Portuguese, I also understand Spanish and Italien. Still, nothing is
>so easy learning to speak without too much mistakes as English.
>(Although impossible to speak like a native.)

Don't even try understanding English speaken in rural areas. Can't comment
on England, but if you listen to Newfoundland speakers, Maine speakers, or
speakers from a number of different Nova Scotian areas, you can't understand
what they are saying. _I_ have lived in Nova Scotia practically all my life,
but I still can't understand some of these people. :-)

Your English is good. Despite that, I'm surprised to hear you say it's easy
to use. Heavy media exposure, maybe?

Arved

Senior Developer
e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
"B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"

RE: XRI requirements - and overdefensiveness in OpenSourceLand...

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.

I never heard that they talk that way about people. The sentence "that is
the stupidest f***king thing I ever heard!" was already mentioned in the
news several times as being one of BG favourites and generally used at MS.

Anyway, the idea is NOT to insult someone but too tell what you think
about something without wasting too much energy being polite.

I must say that I do not find Apache lists to be that bad. I guess I am
just traumatized from what I sometimes happens in other mailling lists.

> The requirement, I think, is that we do not cultivate deliberate
> abrasiveness. What I like about Stefano is that he may be "in
> your face" but I don't think he does it on purpose. Plus I think he
> respects everyone.

I like the "in your face" style. You know better what to expect when you
deal with such person.

> >And I do not even think that his style is very Italian.
> >Italian style is similar to very Portuguese very French or very
> >British. It is a "I am THE MAN and I am always right" style.
> >(By the way, I am Portuguese.)
>
> OK, you might be right. :-) Still, you don't know Estonians. We
> are pretty
> formal. When I write my _sisters_ I use uppercase "Sina", which is like
> German "Sie" when talking to an individual. When I talk or write to
> strangers in Estonian, I am more formal still: it's all third person and
> Herr Doktor kind of stuff. :-)
>
> You don't run across Estonians every day, so to get the right
> picture think
> of rum-running Finns with a strong exposure to Germans. :-)

Well... I am living in Germany now. But Germany is a big country and they
are not very formal around here. However, I have been in the North and...

Anyway, I think that human kind as an ego thing. We could joke about it
this way:
 - Latins, Brits, Americans and other extroverts believe in a loud
   campaign about how good they really are;
 - Germans (and probably other introverts) believe that being loud is not
   cool. Then, they develop a multitude of more subtile techniques to make
   the others find out how good they really are.
=;o)

> Point being, we have not necessarily adequately captured culture
> and respect
> when we employ English. I'm thinking that the broad use of English, which
> exemplifies current American mores, is maybe always not so good. Maybe we
> should respect attempts to use native languages. I am personally
> capable of
> reading French and German, and responding in kind (sometimes
> brokenly), and
> of course I can do Estonian. :-) Portuguese is beyond me. :-)

Estonian is beyond me.
=:o)

I think English is still the easier one. I have learned rudiments of German
and Dutch but these are so difficult for a latin. But even being a latin,
English was much easier to learn for me than French.

As many Portuguese, I also understand Spanish and Italien. Still, nothing is
so easy learning to speak without too much mistakes as English.
(Although impossible to speak like a native.)

Have fun,

Paulo Gaspar

RE: XRI requirements - and overdefensiveness in OpenSourceLand...

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 05:56 PM 7/16/00 +0200, Paulo Gaspar wrote:

>Considering the time I waste with bruised egos (including mine) I got
>a bit ashamed after reading this. I couldn't avoid thinking:
> - "Now, from the time you can spend with mailing lists, look at the
>   percent you (me) just waste with ego-and-turf-defending sh*t instead
>   of doing something really constructive with it. And, if part of it is
>   settling down other's egos and personal sensitivities, a lot is
>   because of your (mine) own ego-and-lame-sensitivities crap!"
>
>This is how I feel about it: a bit ashamed.

Let's not dismiss personal respect and professional courtesy. Maybe the
reason I don't work at M$ is perhaps because if someone told me that what I
just said "was stupid f****g BS", that there would be immediate physical
repercussions.

Including if the person was Steve Ballmer. :-)

The requirement, I think, is that we do not cultivate deliberate
abrasiveness. What I like about Stefano is that he may be "in your face" but
I don't think he does it on purpose. Plus I think he respects everyone.

>I also have an ego (big one) and also overreact and also get concerned
>about defending positions I believe just as I am doing now... and
>sometimes (maybe even now) I spend too much time defending those
>positions.

Sure, so do I. I get puffed up with myself from time to time. I think I've
made some pretty decent contributions but sometimes I start thinking of
myself as Don Knuth II. :-) So I need to be taken down a peg or two
occasionally.

>What is too much time defending a position? Is when nothing really
>positive can result for man kind except the fact that they will
>understand that you (the defender) are right and are a great guy!

Point well taken. I got concerned that I was becoming Mr. FOP, and put it
out on the fop-dev mailing list that maybe it's time for a new release
coordinator. Hence allowing me to concentrate on real stuff and not personal
ego.

>The one thing I like most about Stefano is not the work I know from
>him - Cocoon. There is a lot of principles I believe to be wrong there
>(not in architecture/technical stuff, but in working model).
>
>The one thing I like most about Stefano is:
> - his enthusiasm, the way he tries to participate on all he can even if
>   only giving his possible 10 cents (in this case his opinion);
> - (and especially) the fact that he as an ego but deals with it, giving
>   priority to have the BEST solution working instead of his solution.
>   (Never worked with him, but at least he publicly defends this. Not
>   everybody dares to do so.)

Agreed. I still want to hear his viewpoint on getting into "voting" - he's
an influential Apache guy, and his "suggestion" carries weight in forums
outside Cocoon and Ant. I don't think it should. That being said, maybe I
have used my position outside FOP also.

>I think that it is a pity if we let "over defensiveness" get in the way
>of creativity, enthusiasm and participation... even if 10 cent
>participation.

Agreed.

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
By tradition (and charter), discussions of adding new committers are generally done on the
mailing list for each subproject. I think it's fine for Stefano to make suggestions for
new committers (he's not a shy person! :-)....

I completely agree that we should keep process overhead low.  It's useful when there are
conflicts, but it can get in the way of moving fast...

Mike

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.

Posted by "N. Sean Timm" <st...@mailgo.com>.

Posted by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net>.
Ted's on vacation, so he won't be speaking for himself for a while.
He talked to me about this last night, so I'm going to attempt to speak for
him in the interim.

He feels that some problems have arisen because folks have been a little
sloppy in following the agreed-upon guidelines for committer entry.  [Sorry,
I don't know the history he was referring to, although there was some stuff
over the last week that seemed a bit over the top; search for "Joe Blow".]
He was trying to promote respecting the agreed-upon guidelines for admitting
new committers.  It didn't sound like he was being defensive or anything; he
was just trying to be sure he/we were following the guidelines.

I suspect that he'd take back the sentence about proposing Cocoon
committers, just because it can be misread as a turf thing.  I think he was
just trying to ask for a guideline clarification by an unfortunate choice of
example.

I'm ok either way, as long as someone will proxy for me when needed if I
don't have committer access.

-Ed

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Well,

  )

Re: XRI requirements

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
Hi, Ted

Re: XRI requirements

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Re: XRI requirements

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Re: XRI requirements

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: XRI requirements

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> on 7/14/00 5:03 AM, Ed Staub at estaub@mediaone.net wrote:
>
> Here's an excerpt, for review of structure.  We should have something real
> checked in tomorrow.

I like the format of the saple -- especially the form of the hrefs. Very
nice.

About that parser output before input idea... :) (I now have visions of the
STNG episode where time became a loop...)

.duncan

RE: XRI requirements

Posted by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net>.
Thanks, Eric & Duncan.

Ted Leung volunteered to work on this with me, and he's a committer.
But he's going on vacation, so giving me rights probably makes sense, at
least for the time being.

I'm collating together a (hopefully) better list, with quotes and hrefs back
to the mail archive.

Here's an excerpt, for review of structure.  We should have something real
checked in tomorrow.

----
Schema
Proposed requirements are organized into categories.  Some requirements may
occur in more than one category in the future.

Each requirement has a number. The numbers are not in any useful order, but
will remain stable for reference.  Underneath the number is a "hardness" and
"status".

  Possible "hardness" values are:
  hard - Xerces 2 must and shall meet this requirement
  soft - Xerces 2 should meet this requirement, but it may be dropped
because of conflicting requirements or time pressures

  Possible "status" values are:
  approved - there appears to be a clear consensus
  tooQuiet - there may be a consensus, but there hasn't been enough input to
be sure
  hardnessConflict - there is conflict over whether this is a hard or soft
requirement
  vetoConflict - there is a conflict over whether this proposed requirement
is a requirement at all
  rejected - the proposed requirement appears to be dead
  unevaluated - editor hasn't finished reviewing input

----

An example entry:

      1.
        hard
        rejected
     The parser shall be faster than the speed of light.

        "Parser output must occur before parser input..."  [spinnaker]
Announce James Duncan Davidson (Sat Jul 08 2000 - 07:31:16 MEST)

        a..
        "Transluminal parsing speeds could cause a rip in the space-time
continuum..."  Re: [spinnaker] Announce Stefano Mazzocchi (Sun Jul 09 2000 -
17:36:18 MEST)

-Ed

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.

Re: XRI requirements

Posted by Eric Ye <er...@locus.apache.org>.
_____

Eric Ye * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * ericye@locus.apache.org

Re: XRI requirements

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
I'm a little behind on the mail, but I'd be happy to do this along with Ed.
I do think it is important for one of the Xerces comitters to work on this,
because I think that the requirements list should go in the repository.