Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/26 12:13:42 UTC

Groovy 1.1 support

Folks

I was recently presenting on Groovy and Synapse at the Grails Exchange
conference. There is an RC1 out for Groovy 1.1 and a lot of updates, and I
think it would be great to update to Groovy 1.1 in our 1.1 release.
Unfortunately, they changed the interface so its not compatible - I already
tried just dropping the 1.1-RC1 release into Synapse and it doesn't work.

Any chance we can do this in time for Synapse 1.1?

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Cool. Thanks Ant.

On 10/27/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've updated BSF and just published a 3.0-SNAPSHOT build to the snapshot
> repo which works with the latest releases of Groovy, JRuby, Jython etc. So
> changing Synapse to use that snapshot build enables support for Groovy 1.1rc1, I've not updated the Synapse build to use that yet though in case we
> can't get a BSF beta2 release done in time for the Syanpse 1.1.  Working
> on the  BSF beta2 release now, it is possible we could get that out next
> week if thats quick enough for the Syanpse 1.1 release, really depends
> what the other BSF devs want to do. May help if you guys come over to
> bsf-dev and voice your support for getting it out quickly :)

Sure, I will be there :)

Ruwan

   ...ant

--
Ruwan Linton

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Ant,

Thanks for the great effort on this.

This should be OK. Even though we have planned for late this week as the
code freeze, if it is going to be just a change in version + some additional
work to get the axiom-E4X.

Asankha, WDYT?

Thanks,
Ruwan

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/bsf/trunk/bsf3/testing/e4x-1.6R7-Axiom/src/test/java/org/apache/bsf/testing/e4x/HelloTestCase.java

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/bsf/trunk/bsf3/bsf-utils/src/main/java/org/apache/bsf/xml/JavaScriptE4XAxiomHelper.java

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

I have tested the jruby-1.0.1 (latest) and the jython-2.2 (latest) with the
BSF3.0-beta2 RC and they are working fine. I think other scripting languages
will also be working. Can you check with the groovy 1.1 as well?

Ant,

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi ant,

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

JRuby 1.0.1 has an API conflict with the BSF engine. Once dims also talked
about this on the list [1], there you can find the exact issue. I think this
is fixed in the BSF-3.0 (as per ant)

[1] - http://marc.info/?l=synapse-dev&m=118971603705850&w=2

Thanks,
Ruwan

On 10/27/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ruwan
>
> What's the problem with JRuby?
>
> Can you please post a detailed description - if Ant is going to do an
> update it would be fantastic if he could include any bugfixes for JRuby too.
>
> Paul
>
> On 10/27/07, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > AFAIK, we can not go with the version of scripting languages that we
> > want, rather we have to live with the version of the particular scripting
> > language supported by the particular BSF version that we are using (this is
> > because scripting language API is changing, nothing to do with BSF). We are
> > facing the same issue with JRuby as well. It is better if we can get a BSF
> > release with support for all the new versions of Scripting languages
> > including Jython, Jruby, Groovy etc.But I don't think our time frame for
> > the 1.1 release is going to scale for this????
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ruwan
> >
> > On 10/26/07, Paul Fremantle < pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Deepal
> > >
> > > Its deploying Groovy as a mediator. Please see
> > > http://ws.apache.org/synapse/Synapse_Samples.html#Sample500
> > > for more information about the script support in Synapse.
> > >
> > > Paul

> > > --
> > > Paul Fremantle
> > > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2
> > > OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
> > >
> > > blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> > > paul@wso2.com
> > >
> > > "Oxygenating the Web Service Platform", www.wso2.com
> > >

> > --
> > Ruwan Linton
> > http://www.wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
>

> --
> Paul Fremantle
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Ruwan Linton

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Ruwan

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

On 10/26/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Deepal
>
> Its deploying Groovy as a mediator. Please see
> http://ws.apache.org/synapse/Synapse_Samples.html#Sample500
> for more information about the script support in Synapse.
>
> Paul
>
> On 10/26/07, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > > Folks
> > >
> > > I was recently presenting on Groovy and Synapse at the Grails Exchange
> > > conference. There is an RC1 out for Groovy 1.1 and a lot of updates,
> > > and I think it would be great to update to Groovy 1.1 in our 1.1
> > > release. Unfortunately, they changed the interface so its not
> > > compatible - I already tried just dropping the 1.1-RC1 release into
> > > Synapse and it doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Any chance we can do this in time for Synapse 1.1?
> > Paul ,
> > What do you mean by supporting Groovy , is that deploying groovy class
> > as a service ? if that is the case I would like to implement that first
> > in Axis2 and allow Synapse to use that.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Deepal

> Paul Fremantle
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Ruwan Linton

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Deepal

Its deploying Groovy as a mediator. Please see
http://ws.apache.org/synapse/Synapse_Samples.html#Sample500
for more information about the script support in Synapse.

Paul

On 10/26/07, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > Folks
> >
> > I was recently presenting on Groovy and Synapse at the Grails Exchange
> > conference. There is an RC1 out for Groovy 1.1 and a lot of updates,
> > and I think it would be great to update to Groovy 1.1 in our 1.1
> > release. Unfortunately, they changed the interface so its not
> > compatible - I already tried just dropping the 1.1-RC1 release into
> > Synapse and it doesn't work.
> >
> > Any chance we can do this in time for Synapse 1.1?
> Paul ,
> What do you mean by supporting Groovy , is that deploying groovy class
> as a service ? if that is the case I would like to implement that first
> in Axis2 and allow Synapse to use that.
>
> Thanks
> Deepal

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Groovy 1.1 support

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
I had a try it looks like the problem is caused by a change from revision
5077 to the groovy MetaClass which removed the setUseReflection method which
is used in the GroovyScriptEngine thats bundled with BSF.

I can't see any easy way to fix this without a new BSF release other than
using a custom built GroovyScriptEngine which probably isn't very
practical.There has been some talk of a new BSF release over on the
BSF mailing lists,
I'll go see how soon they think we could do that.

   ...ant

[1]
http://fisheye.codehaus.org/browse/groovy/trunk/groovy/groovy-core/src/main/groovy/lang/MetaClass.java