Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Marc Haisenko <ha...@webport.de> on 2004/06/07 12:00:59 UTC

Re: [German book translation] How much do you translate?

On Monday 07 June 2004 15:40, Johannes Fahrenkrug wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just proofreading ch09.xml from Gerhard. I am wondering: How much
> of the English terms should we keep and how many should we translate?
> think that's very confusing. Someone who uses Subversion knows what a
> diff tool is. And I think it's more confusing to translate common
> utility and system names into German than to just keep them in
> English. I am sure no programmer in any German company says
> »Unterschieds-Werkzeug« instead of diff tool. So I guess we should
> make a list of things not to translate.
>
> -Johannes.

I agree on this. I often get mad when I get presented with the exact german
translation of something where a sane and established english technical term
exists. E.g. the term "widget" is recognized by any german programmer who has
worked with GUI's, but the german translation "Trickfenster" only produces
lots of confused faces. ("Trickfenster" translated literally into english
again would be "trickwindow"... :-)

--
Marc Haisenko
Systemspezialist

Re: [German book translation] How much do you translate?

Posted by Johannes Fahrenkrug <jf...@gebeco.de>.
Hi Gerhard (and the rest of the list, of course),

<snip>
> [ not all the english Subversion terms, like »diff«, should be
translated ]
</snip>

> a list would be helpfull (the list at the bottom of the po-file
> could be a good beginning)

Ok, I will start such a list right away. But I don't have a
developer's account
on the Subversion Subversion (no typo :)) repository. I'll just post
the file
here.

> - i think a person for the final
> polish will be needed to fit together the different styles of the
> different translators.

Yes, I think so, too. I'll send out a second email to this list and
suggest
a »Subversion Translators Wiki/Board«.

> i am more a raw-worker than a fine-tuner.

Hehe, I understand :)

Kind regards,

Johannes.

Re: [German book translation] How much do you translate?

Posted by gerhard oettl <ge...@oesoft.at>.
On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 02:00:59PM +0200, Marc Haisenko wrote:
>On Monday 07 June 2004 15:40, Johannes Fahrenkrug wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am just proofreading ch09.xml from Gerhard. I am wondering: How much
>> of the English terms should we keep and how many should we translate?
>> think that's very confusing. Someone who uses Subversion knows what a
>> diff tool is. And I think it's more confusing to translate common
>> utility and system names into German than to just keep them in
>> English. I am sure no programmer in any German company says
>> »Unterschieds-Werkzeug« instead of diff tool. So I guess we should
>> make a list of things not to translate.
>
>I agree on this.

you are right - i would not tranlate this (or not with this words)
if i started the translation again.

a list would be helpfull (the list at the bottom of the po-file
could be a good beginning) - i think a person for the final
polish will be needed to fit together the different styles of the
different translators.

i am more a raw-worker than a fine-tuner.

gerhard

--
gerhard oettl