Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by "Leschke, Scott" <SL...@medline.com> on 2018/11/27 19:27:32 UTC

Aries

I was wondering if there is a possibility that the Aries project would provide OSGi Feature Subsystems for each of the OSGi services they've implemented (with the exception of the subsystem spec of course).  There is a Karaf Feature for installing the Subsystem service so it would be nice if the remaining services were available as Feature Subsystems (or Karaf Features I guess but the former seems like a more neutral solution).

Scott

Re: Aries

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
I was always wondering how to use a resource repository with Karaf.. I want
to be able to leverage requirements and capabilities.. I haven't really
quite figured out how to leverage them properly yet.. figuring that out is
on my to do list though :)

Ryan

RE: Aries

Posted by "Leschke, Scott" <SL...@medline.com>.
So, the implication seems to be that the Subsystem spec is effectively broken and not worth pursuing.  It sounds as if it's simultaneously too complicated and yet not complicated enough. Note that I'm not saying that's the case but that's what I take from what's written below and it's apparent lack of uptake.

Scott

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Aries

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Aries

Posted by Ranx <ra...@enjekt.org>.
Christian,

That's interesting that the features being defined by the OSGi Alliance
would be more like Karaf 2. Why is that? It would seem that the Karaf team
would have a lot of insight into why that worked, what didn't work, and why
the new features mechanics were adopted for later versions of Karaf.

Does anyone else really use feature sets?

I've noticed that the OSGi Alliance doesn't appear to have a lot of
simpatico with the Karaf world in general. I'll be the first to admit that
that may be due to a limited knowledge of the group.

I love OSGi technology but we've always seemed to be plagued with the Un*x
problem - everybody has their flavor and way of doing things and multiple
standards and implementations which results in a fractured world. We often
feature that because we can't fix it.

Re: Aries

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

SLeschke@medline.com>:

> It wasn’t really a dev request per se, more of a curiosity question as to
> whether something along those lines was being considered as it would seem
> to make the implementations more easily consumable in a variety of OSGi
> environments.  My primary interest is in Karaf which is why I guess I
> targeted this list. Perhaps I should have thought that through better.
>

> As for how something like that were structured, I don’t know really.  I
> only have passing familiarity with the Subsystem spec and that it sort of
> overlaps and extends what Karaf Features do, at least to my knowledge. My
> take is that a Karaf Feature commonly maps to an OSGi service spec.
> implementation, even if the names don’t match exactly
>

> I readily admit that I could be grossly mistaken on that.
>

> Scott

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

RE: Aries

Re: Aries

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Aries

Posted by Jeongpil An <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Schneider, JB, Scot.

I'm using Karaf very well.
And I'm a people who wish to use subsystem on karaf well.

I think the Feature function is very good and useful.
But It's also a fact that I need Subsystem spec functionalities for my
projects and my dev direction.
Because I am highly using Business Component(BC) and Subsystem(or
System-Level) Component(SLC) concept.
I think The Bundle and Subsystem OSGi Spec is very fit for those.

A year ago I'm not good experience about subsystem functionalitiesm on
karaf.
Maybe needs more work of Aries Subsystem Bundle.

So again, please your interest about Subsystem.

Thanks, All of you..