Posted to axkit-dev@xml.apache.org by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org> on 2004/04/27 19:40:29 UTC

Moving forward

My suggestion is that to move forwards with things we hold off on the TLP
thing for now - lets get the other parts of Kip's proposal working first.
Lets try and eat this sandwich a bite at a time.

Any objections/comments?

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->get a SMart net</:->

Re: Moving forward

Posted by Kip Hampton <kh...@totalcinema.com>.
Sorry for the lag... busy-busy...

Matt Sergeant wrote:

> OK, well Berin's asking about progress on the PMC list. Would you like
> to respond or would you prefer I did?

Either way is fine with me. I don't mind doing it, but it'll have to
wait till Mon. or Tues.

-kip

Re: Moving forward

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Re: Moving forward

Posted by Kip Hampton <kh...@totalcinema.com>.

Re: Moving forward

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On 27 Apr 2004, at 19:23, Kip Hampton wrote:

> Matt Sergeant wrote:
>
>> My suggestion is that to move forwards with things we hold off on the
>> TLP
>> thing for now - lets get the other parts of Kip's proposal working
>> first.
>> Lets try and eat this sandwich a bite at a time.
>> Any objections/comments?
>
> Part of the point of the TLP proposal was to snap people out of a
> sense of inertia that has persisted for months-- to draw a clear line
> in time that says "that was then, but this is now, and let's get on
> with the new thing". Trying to pick-and-choose and pull things from
> that proposal in piecemeal not only takes away that "fresh start", it
> is, IMO, a recipe for more confusion. "New wine in old skins", as the
> saying goes.
>
> If you have specific concerns anout the proposal, bring them up. If
> not, I don't see any value whatsoever in waiting around and/or
> settling for half-measures.

I was just afraid that we could have problems eating the whole sandwich
if it just looks like too much to take on. If everyone else is
comfortable with that then I'm happy to go with the flow.

I don't have any specific problems with the proposal - I already +1'd
it.

Matt.

Re: Moving forward

Posted by Kip Hampton <kh...@totalcinema.com>.

Re: Moving forward

Posted by Michael A Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com>.
Matt Sergeant wrote:

>My suggestion is that to move forwards with things we hold off on the TLP
>thing for now - lets get the other parts of Kip's proposal working first.
>Lets try and eat this sandwich a bite at a time.
>
>Any objections/comments?

-1 from me on this.  I don't think doing one precludes accomplishing the
other.  In fact, moving toward the TLP seems like excellent motivation
for sticking to the PMC proposal.  Besides, without a change in
direction (like moving out from under the XML PMC umbrella) I feel it
would be too easy to slide back into old habits.

Since the goals of the PMC proposal is to change the processes we use to
manage the project, we should IMHO snap over to the new management style
and help support each other as we stumble.

I think the breakup of the XML PMC is an excellent opportunity that we
should take advantage of.

--
Michael A. Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com>
http://nachbaur.com/pgpkey.asc