Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Maksim Kashynski <ka...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/12 21:36:13 UTC

"CForms - XUL" Project proposal

Hi everybody!
My name is Maksim Kashynski.

I am interested in working on CForms-XUL project under Google SoC.

So this is my proposal's draft.
Problem:
  Cocoon CForms currently supports only HTML rendering. Mozilla XUL is
popular and powerful use interface language but isn't currently supported.

Solution
  Provide XUL rendering for CForms using existing CForms model by adding
appropriate transformations, mostly XSL stylesheets.

Benefits to community
  CForms and Cocoon will have more abilities of user interaction. This will
make Cocoon more popular.

Description of approach.
  XUL is an XML-based language, so the main goal is to provide correct
FD/FT -> XUL XSLTs.
  Another importaint goal is to deliver Action handling to XUL.
  Event handling in both HTML and XUL is JavaScript-based, so it will be not
very hard to imlement it.

Milestones of delivery.
30.06.2005 - Complete test environment for FD - XUL transformation.
15.07.2005 - Basic widget rendering
30.07.2005 - Provide Action handling
10.08.2005 - Event handling to XUL
15.08.2005 - Beta version - providing most functionality, but with some bugs
30.08. 2005 - Release  - complete functional system providing full CForms
functionality in XUL and easy content type switching (XUL/HTML) for XUL
based browsers.

About myself.

Citizenship: Belarus.
Currently enrolled to MSc in Computer Engg. programe at Hogskolan Dalarna,
Sweden
May 2004 - Present moment - Web Developer, Exadel Inc, Minsk
(developing webapps under Tomcat and WebSphere, mostly with Struts and JSF,
also lots of  XSLT (FOP)).
September 1999 - May 2004 - Belarusian State Univ. of Information Science
and Radio Electronics - Software Engineer

I have played with Cocoon for several weeks and find it very powerful thing.

Re: "CForms - XUL" Project proposal

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Hi Maksim,

Thanks for sending your initial proposal. Please keep an eye on comments
done by community members.

I did some annotations between lines....

On Dom, 12 de Junio de 2005, 14:36, Maksim Kashynski dijo:
> Hi everybody!
> My name is Maksim Kashynski.
>
> I am interested in working on CForms-XUL project under Google SoC.
>
> So this is my proposal's draft.
> Problem:

Cocoon CForms currently supports only HTML rendering. Mozilla XUL is a XML
dialect used to construct user interfaces. With XUL is posible to build
more-interactive applications. XUL can provide a front end for cforms.

> Solution
>   Provide XUL rendering for CForms using existing CForms model by adding
> appropriate transformations, mostly XSL stylesheets.

The new XUL interface will interact with the cform server model at least
as well than current HTML implementation.

> Benefits to community
This project is one of the user requested enhancements in Cocoon Forms.
The project will allow cocoon community get in touch with Mozilla XUL,
helps to start collaboration between both communities. This will make
Cocoon more popular.

> Description of approach.
>   XUL is an XML-based language, so the main goal is to provide correct
> FD/FT -> XUL XSLTs.
>   Another importaint goal is to deliver Action handling to XUL.
>   Event handling in both HTML and XUL is JavaScript-based, so it will be
> not very hard to imlement it.
not very hard to implement it.

> Milestones of delivery.
> 30.06.2005 - Complete test environment for FD - XUL transformation.
> 15.07.2005 - Basic widget rendering
> 30.07.2005 - Provide Action handling
> 10.08.2005 - Event handling to XUL
> 15.08.2005 - Beta version - providing most functionality, but with some
> bugs
> 30.08. 2005 - Release  - complete functional system providing full CForms
> functionality in XUL and easy content type switching (XUL/HTML) for XUL
> based browsers.
>
> About myself.
>
> Citizenship: Belarus.
> Currently enrolled to MSc in Computer Engg. programe at Hogskolan Dalarna,
> Sweden
> May 2004 - Present moment - Web Developer, Exadel Inc, Minsk
> (developing webapps under Tomcat and WebSphere, mostly with Struts and
> JSF,
> also lots of  XSLT (FOP)).
> September 1999 - May 2004 - Belarusian State Univ. of Information Science
> and Radio Electronics - Software Engineer
>
> I have played with Cocoon for several weeks and find it very powerful
> thing.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: "CForms - XUL" Project proposal

Posted by Jörg Heinicke <Jo...@gmx.de>.
> Von: "Antonio Gallardo"
> Datum: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:05:16 -0500 (CDT)
>
> On Lun, 13 de Junio de 2005, 13:43, "Jörg Heinicke" dijo:
> > Hello Maksim,
> >
> > isn't "just" converting the stylesheets for HTML to ones for XUL to
> easy?
> > The really interesting part with XUL is to use it as rich client, i.e.
> > avoid rendering the complete page on each request, but only the parts
> that
> > need to be rendered. Independent on the new AJAX hype, that Sylvain has
> > implemented for HTML, XUL provides a similar mechanism itself -
> including
> > client side templating (chapter 9 of the tutorial starting at
> > http://xulplanet.com/tutorials/xultu/intrordf.html). This would be an
> > implementation that really uses the options XUL provides.
>
> +1
>
> > Just my IMO ...
> > I can also offer help on this.
>
> Great! Can I write you as mentor too? I will be glad if you accept. I know
> you already have XUL experience wich is very welcomed. :-)

Of course, I was only to lazy to do it myself :-)

Joerg

Re: "CForms - XUL" Project proposal

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Mar, 14 de Junio de 2005, 1:58, Maksim Kaszynski dijo:
> Of course it is!
> Seems like you've taken it from my mind, just before I posted it :)

OK. Gladly Joerg accepted to be also project mentor.

Please remember to send a link to the project in the proposal:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2005#cocoon-cforms-xul-user-interface

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: "CForms - XUL" Project proposal

Posted by Maksim Kaszynski <ka...@gmail.com>.
Of course it is!

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Posted by Jörg Heinicke <Jo...@gmx.de>.

implemented for HTML, XUL provides a similar mechanism itself - including a

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail gratis + 3 Ausgaben stern gratis
++ Jetzt anmelden & testen ++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail ++