Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com> on 2007/08/17 08:40:38 UTC

FYI: New Continuum instance

Hi,

With help of Brett Porter I'm just in process of creating new Continuum setup for Cocoon at a new
Continuum instance[1]. Brett told me that old one when we used to have Cocoon built is going to be
shut down soon.

The advantages of a new instance are significant:
1. It's Continuum 1.1 that supports build profiles and one of already set up profile is "Java 1.4"
that we can use so Cocoon is checked against compatibility with Java 1.4. Nice, don't you think? :-)
2. It's less bloated. Old Continuum was a real mess and as Brett told me it had almost no
maintainers. This may change.
3. It's considerably faster and has new neat options like projects group.
4. Broken notifications should work now.

For the beginning I'll try to replicate old setup and if it works we can discuss if we want
something to adjust. If you want to be added to project group developers (so you can edit settings
for Cocoon) just register at Continuum and give me your username.

[1] http://vmbuild1.apache.org/continuum/

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski
*** My Internet Service Provider breaks my internet connection                ***

Re: FYI: New Continuum instance

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski schrieb:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
>> As for now, do you want me to change our setup?
>
> After another batch e-mails I decided to remove all projects except
> Apache Cocoon that builds whole Cocoon recursively.

+1 Thanks Grzegorz

Re: FYI: New Continuum instance

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
>> As for now, do you want me to change our setup?
>
> After another batch e-mails I decided to remove all projects except
> Apache Cocoon that builds whole Cocoon recursively.

Thanks :-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: FYI: New Continuum instance

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz pisze:

> Grek and Brett, many thanks for making this happen!

No problem from my side :)

> However, after getting dozens of messages when a build problem occurs in
> one of our core modules I wonder whether we shouldn't go back to the
> former configuration of having only one Continiuum project. Or do I
> overlook some advantage of the Continuum project per module setup?

Reinhard, do you refer to latest 51 BUILD ERROR messages? They are caused by the fact our Apache svn
repository is down. I wanted to avoid these messages but found no way to disable building/notifying
  for some time, unfortunately.

I wanted to bring discussion on multi-project vs one-project Continuum setup but I was to busy with
implementing new stuff for Cocoon.

Thinking about current situation when almost every module depends almost only on snapshot versions
of other modules I agree with you that Continuum could be too noisy because of failure in some
common module. However, I think that we should aim at reducing number of snapshot dependencies even
amongst Cocoon modules. If we get to this point somewhere in the future we could consider multi
project setup again.

What's more, Brett told me that he already proposed some improvements in this area to Continuum team
and he believes Continuum notification should get better shortly. This may allow us to return back
to multi project setup sooner than we expect it.

As for now, do you want me to change our setup?

BTW, there are still some issues with notifications that do not make it to our list but I'm
dedicated to fight this problem and Brett already offered his help.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: FYI: New Continuum instance

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
>> 3. It's considerably faster and has new neat options like projects group.
>
> Actually it's going to be upgraded soon so you may experience something
> opposite - slowness and instability but it's temporary.

Ok, basic setup is up and running here:
http://vmbuild1.apache.org/continuum/projectGroupSummary.action?projectGroupId=23

I set up separate build for each module using new capabilities of Continuum 1.1 beta 2. One caveat
is that Continuum cannot import automatically modules pointed by profile (allblocks). It can use
profiles while building, though. To work-around this limitation, current setup is as follows:
1. We have one big build of project Apache Cocoon that builds recursively all our blocks
2. We have separate builds of modules that are built by default by Maven (without -P allblocks flag)

I'm going to ask Continuum folks how to import all our modules so we will have separate builds for
all our modules and more fine grained control over their health.

All builds are done with Java 1.4. Notifications (as you probably noticed) work ok.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: FYI: New Continuum instance

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 17.08.2007 2:40 Uhr, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> With help of Brett Porter I'm just in process of creating new Continuum
> setup for Cocoon at a new Continuum instance[1].

Thanks Grek and Brett!

Joerg