Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com> on 2010/08/31 09:58:22 UTC

ApacheDS Manuals releasing

Re: ApacheDS Manuals releasing

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Felix,

On 31 août 2010, at 09:58, Felix Knecht wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I just wonder what of the manual shall be release to where.
> Do we need to create a zip file of all the generated docs and release it
> as artifact like releasing a jar file? ATM the generated docs are
> deployed to p.a.o/www/directory.apache.org/apacheds/manuals for snapshot
> deployment as well as for release deployment in a subdirectory
> *-user-guide-{version}.
> Do we need to deploy a released source zip of all?
> Do we need to deploy a release pom.xml (ATM the module is
> <packaging>pom</packaging>?
> I'm even don't know if it's possible to release and deploy a zip.
>
> Any thoughts?

I really think this is not necessary and should only be present on the website.
I don't see any benefit of having the generated docs in the Maven repository and what use it can have for us and others.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: ApacheDS Manuals releasing

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Felix,

First off great work on the documentation. More inline ...

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I just wonder what of the manual shall be release to where.

What do other projects do? Do they release documentation bundles separately
or do they package the documentation with the release. I think we will
probably find a combination.

> Do we need to create a zip file of all the generated docs and release it
> as artifact like releasing a jar file? ATM the generated docs are
> deployed to p.a.o/www/directory.apache.org/apacheds/manuals for snapshot
> deployment as well as for release deployment in a subdirectory
> *-user-guide-{version}.
> Do we need to deploy a released source zip of all?
> Do we need to deploy a release pom.xml (ATM the module is
> <packaging>pom</packaging>?
> I'm even don't know if it's possible to release and deploy a zip.

Yes we can do that with the archive plugin and various derivatives of that.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org

Re: ApacheDS Manuals releasing

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheDS Manuals releasing

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Felix,

The delay was probably due to the mirrors replication.

You can bypass this by using this HTTP proxy 140.211.11.10 on port 80.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheDS Manuals releasing

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> wrote:

> Hi Felix!
>

> Felix Knecht wrote:
>
>> I just wonder what of the manual shall be release to where.
>> Do we need to create a zip file of all the generated docs and release it
>> as artifact like releasing a jar file? ATM the generated docs are
>> deployed to p.a.o/www/directory.apache.org/apacheds/manuals for snapshot
>> deployment as well as for release deployment in a subdirectory
>> *-user-guide-{version}.
>>

> Are the guides created by docbook already deployed? The URL
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/manuals/
> is empty ...
>

>  Do we need to deploy a released source zip of all?
>> Do we need to deploy a release pom.xml (ATM the module is
>> <packaging>pom</packaging>?
>> I'm even don't know if it's possible to release and deploy a zip.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> From my point it would be interesting to have the manuals (guides) be part
> of the ApacheDS release itself. PDF versions should be sufficient. No need
> to have the html in the download.

I agree +1

> I have started to rework the Basic User's Guide for the 1.5.7 version of
> ApacheDS. This task looks meaningful to me since editing takes place in svn,
> and the efforts are therefore more durable. It will take some time, but I
> hope a presentable version will be available in some weeks.

Thanks Stefan.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Stefan,

On 31 août 2010, at 10:42, Stefan Zoerner wrote:

> Hi Felix!
>
> Felix Knecht wrote:
>> I just wonder what of the manual shall be release to where.
>> Do we need to create a zip file of all the generated docs and release it
>> as artifact like releasing a jar file? ATM the generated docs are
>> deployed to p.a.o/www/directory.apache.org/apacheds/manuals for snapshot
>> deployment as well as for release deployment in a subdirectory
>> *-user-guide-{version}.
>
> Are the guides created by docbook already deployed? The URL
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/manuals/
> is empty ...
>
>> Do we need to deploy a released source zip of all?
>> Do we need to deploy a release pom.xml (ATM the module is
>> <packaging>pom</packaging>?
>> I'm even don't know if it's possible to release and deploy a zip.
>> Any thoughts?
>
> From my point it would be interesting to have the manuals (guides) be part of the ApacheDS release itself. PDF versions should be sufficient. No need to have the html in the download.

I was first tempted to have two separate repos, one for the server and another for its documentation. It had the advantage to be able to release both independently...
... But, in the end, and from a user point of view, I think you're right and the documentation should actually be part of the release.
It will be a lot more work and will probably take a little more time, but in the end, the user experience is way better.
Having an up-to-date documentation alongside the server is really a must have for our users.
Furthermore, as the release is dependent on the documentation, it will force us to update the documentation, something we've not been quite good at since a few last releases (and the documentation becoming release after release less accurate).

However, I'd rather encourage the use of the HTML version when bundling the documentation in the release packages. The main reason for this is that it does not require an additional installation of a PDF Reader software (Mac OS X and Linux comes with a built-in reader, but Windows doesn't and more than 2/3 of our users are on Windows).

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.
Hi Felix!

Felix Knecht wrote:
> I just wonder what of the manual shall be release to where.
> Do we need to create a zip file of all the generated docs and release it
> as artifact like releasing a jar file? ATM the generated docs are
> deployed to p.a.o/www/directory.apache.org/apacheds/manuals for snapshot
> deployment as well as for release deployment in a subdirectory
> *-user-guide-{version}.

Are the guides created by docbook already deployed? The URL
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/manuals/
is empty ...

> Do we need to deploy a released source zip of all?
> Do we need to deploy a release pom.xml (ATM the module is
> <packaging>pom</packaging>?
> I'm even don't know if it's possible to release and deploy a zip.
>
> Any thoughts?

 From my point it would be interesting to have the manuals (guides) be
part of the ApacheDS release itself. PDF versions should be sufficient.
No need to have the html in the download.

I have started to rework the Basic User's Guide for the 1.5.7 version of
ApacheDS. This task looks meaningful to me since editing takes place in
svn, and the efforts are therefore more durable. It will take some time,
but I hope a presentable version will be available in some weeks.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     StefanZ