Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by SML <de...@lafn.org> on 2004/11/10 12:07:58 UTC

Database not found while in Tomcat / jsp

Hello!

I'm trying to integrate a derby db with a jsp page for a school project, and, while I can access the db via the ij tool, all attempts to access the db from within a jsp page have failed. I'm starting tomcat from within Eclipse.

I've googled and googled, but cannot find a solution.

The derby database files are located in the project's WEB-INF/lib directory and the jsp page is located in a directory just under the root.

Many thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

**** the jsp page
<%@ page import="java.sql.*" %>

<%
    Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver");
	Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:RecordAppDB;")
	Statement s = conn.createStatement();
	String sql = "SELECT * FROM tblStudent";
	ResultSet rs = s.executeQuery( sql );
	rs.close();
	s.close();
	DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true");
%>

***** Error
type Exception report
message
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Database 'RecordAppDB' not found.

root cause
SQL Exception: Database 'RecordAppDB' not found.

Re: Database not found while in Tomcat / jsp

Posted by Henrique Gomes <li...@farol.co.pt>.
On Nov 10, 2004, at 11:07, SML wrote:

> The derby database files are located in the project's WEB-INF/lib
> directory and the jsp page is located in a directory just under the
> root.
>

> 	Connection conn =
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:RecordAppDB;")

Wy don't you try jdbc:derby:WEB-INF/lib/RecordAppDB ?
I don't think there is any thing magic about the WEB-INF/lib that would
make derby find the database
there auto magically.

If that still doesn't work, you will need to find the absolute path.

---
Henrique Gomes
hmng@farol.co.pt