Posted to users@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2021/12/21 13:41:53 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Removal of Python2 "virtualenv" support in Airlfow 2.3 ?

Following the discussion in
https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/20238#issuecomment-998780796

Should we completely remove tests and python2 binary with Python 2
from the reference image?

We still keep Python 2 installed in our Reference Images and we have
tests in our CI that test that Python 2 works for PythonVirtualenv
https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/ee87953652e1bea103aa1b338293306eb7ae041d/tests/operators/test_python.py#L820

We also advise our users
https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow/stable/upgrading-from-1-10/index.html#step-1-switch-to-python-3
to use PythonVirtualenvOperator if they still want to run Python 2.

It's 2 years after the end of life for Python 2 in January.

My proposal is to finally put Python 2 to rest for our images and
tests. This does not mean that people won't be able to use it if they
REALLY want to. They will be able to - it's just our advise will be
that they move to Python 3 (or use custom Kubernetes POD Operator with
Python2 installed) and we remove it from both - test and reference
image so there is no guarantee it's going to work with Python
Virtualenv.

Is there anyone who thinks it's a bad idea ? If I do not see any
strong opposition, I will ask for a lazy consensus in a few days.

"Speak now or forever hold your peace" ;)

J.

[LAZY CONSENSUS] Removal of Python2 "virtualenv" support in Airlfow 2.3

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Right. I see there is a  "strong" sentiment for the removal :).
So calling for the lazy consensus on:

"Let's Remove Python 2 from images, tests, documentation advising that
PythonVirtualenvOperator could be used for Python 2."

Details here: https://lists.apache.org/thread/rjyqw3cwsh4vgg6jycsbr1jr0slnych3

If I won't hear a strong -1 on that one - we will remove it after Xmas.

BTW. Merry Xmas everyone!

J.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Removal of Python2 "virtualenv" support in Airlfow 2.3 ?

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
PR here: https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/20680

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Leah Cole <co...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1 for removal!

Posted by Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Elad Kalif <el...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Elad Kalif <el...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Bas Harenslak <ba...@astronomer.io.INVALID>.
+1 for removing it.

Had a think whether removing the Python 2 binaries in Airflow 2.3 is right, or if we should first explicitly state the future removal. Since Python 2 has been EOL for a long time + we've advised Python 3 in the docs for a long time + users can still use Python 2 by installing it, I don’t see a problem removing it in Airflow 2.3.

Bas