Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org> on 2016/12/27 22:32:32 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC5)

Hello Incubator PMC,

The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating.  We now
kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

The VOTE RESULT is here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-trafficcontrol-dev/201612.mbox/%3CCAHkg7wQuBwGvVJ7oT3QP=_TYMYg+MG4wrzB7G26hN6VydAQkBw@mail.gmail.com%3E

The draft release notes (along with links to artifacts,
signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:

http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/

The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-1.8.0-RC5":
https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-1.8.0-RC5

The source distribution (also linked in the release notes) is here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/1.8.0/RC5/

Build instructions are included in build/README.md file which is
included in the source artifact.

Artifacts have been signed with the "dangogh@apache.org" key listed in:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS

Please review and vote:

[  ] +1 Approve the release
[  ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)

- Dan

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
A few questions about the release contents:

- Have you contacted legal-discuss RE CC-SA 4.0 IPL?  Per [1] it is not 2.5
or 3.0 so it requires legal input.  Can you also point out which files are
covered under this? Listing "data" and "component" doesn't help me identify.
- There are no instructions that I could find in the root on how to build
the project.  Can you provide them?
- For "underscore" can you include the actual copy of the MIT license? E.g.
[2]
- Same for "datatables" [3]
- Same for jmenu, but i can't find a valid license to back up your claim
(also not available on the listed site?)
- Same for bootstrap, fontawesome, sorttable, jquery (just gave up at this
point)

[1]: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa
[2]: https://github.com/jashkenas/underscore/blob/1.8.3/LICENSE
[3]: https://github.com/DataTables/DataTables/blob/master/license.txt

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> is this referring to the tar ball having the name "incubator-trafficcontrol" and just changing that to "incubating-..." would suffice?

Yep that’s what’s required. You might find this check list [1] useful.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback,  Justin..    We are working on rectifying these issues,  but want clarification on a couple.

I think my PGP key is published -- here:  http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=dangogh%40apache.org&op=index    Should it be published elsewhere?

> - signatures and hashes correct
> - LICENSE has a large number of issues (see below)
> - NOTICE is OK
> - unexpected binary file in release [22]
> - all source files have ASF headers
> - Unable to compile from source
>
> With most common permissive licenses you need to include the text of the license in full, while this doesn\u2019t have to be in the LICENSE file it\u2019s a good idea to do so or includes a pointer to the full text in the license. [1]
>
> Given the number of licenses it would also be a good idea (IMO) to use the the short form i.e. pointers to the license, see also [1].
>
> This would include licenses for:
> - fontawesome
> - bootstrap
> - SortTable
> - jQuery UI
> - jMenu (a better URL would be https://libraries.io/github/alpixel/jMenu)

Unfortunately,  that page also has links to the missing github repo.   We are planning to remove or replace  this for the next release.

> [...]
>
> Other licensing issues:
> - I don\u2019t believe CC by 2.5 licensed WebAppers Progress Bar would be allowed to be bundled in an Apache releases as the license is listed in Category B and can\u2019t in included in source form. [2]
> - For the MaxMind DB GeoLite2 Database under CC share-alike license you would need to get approve from legal discuss [2]
> - Theses files may be under under the perl artistic license (not 100% sure) [9][10][11][12][13] which is not a Category A license.
>
> These files [6][8] incorrectly have ASF headers, there may be others.
>
> The source fails to compile with this error:
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project traffic_router_core: Could not resolve dependencies for project com.comcast.cdn.traffic_control.traffic_router:traffic_router_core:war:1.8.0: Could not find artifact jdnssec:jdnssec-tools:jar:0.12 in cloudera (https://repository.cloudera.com/content/repositories/releases) -> [Help 1]
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
> 2. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#cc-sa
> 3. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_server/patches/trafficserver-5.3.2-f914e70.diff
> 4. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_portal/app/src/styles/main.scss
> 5. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/misc/traffic-control-cdn/css/bootstrap.min.css
> 6. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/app/public/js/lz-string-1.3.3.js
> 7. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/app/public/js/handlebars.js
> 8. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/app/public/js/prettyprint.js
> 9. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/install/lib/perl5/JSON/backportPP/Compat5005.pm
> 10. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/install/lib/perl5/JSON/backportPP/Compat5006.pm
> 11. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/install/lib/perl5/JSON/backportPP.pm
> 12. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/install/lib/perl5/JSON/PP.pm
> 13 ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/install/lib/perl5/JSON.pm
> 14. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/app/public/js/select2.js
> 15. ./docs/source/_themes/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/js/modernizr.min.js
> 16. ./incubator-trafficcontrol/docs/source/_themes/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/fonts/Inconsolata-Bold.ttf
> 17. /incubator-trafficcontrol/docs/source/_themes/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/fonts/Inconsolata.ttf
> 18. incubator-trafficcontrol/docs/source/_themes/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/fonts/Lato-Bold.ttf
> 19. incubator-trafficcontrol/docs/source/_themes/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/fonts/Lato-Regular.ttf
> 20. incubator-trafficcontrol/docs/source/_themes/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/fonts/RobotoSlab-Bold.ttf
> 21 incubator-trafficcontrol/docs/source/_themes/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/fonts/RobotoSlab-Regular.ttf
> 22. incubator-trafficcontrol/traffic_ops/install/bin/goose
> 23. incubator-trafficcontrol/infrastructure/test/ui/vendor/github.com/tebeka/

We have sent an email to legal regarding the CC-SA licenses.   For the remaining issues, a new RC6 will be available in the next couple of days.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

-1 (binding) As package names don’t include incubating, release includes non Category A licensed software, files incorrectly having Apache headers, unexpected binary file in release and unable to compile from source.

I checked:
- package names do not contain “incubating”
- PGP key is not published (but does match KEYS file)
- signatures and hashes correct
- LICENSE has a large number of issues (see below)
- NOTICE is OK
- unexpected binary file in release [22]
- all source files have ASF headers
- Unable to compile from source

With most common permissive licenses you need to include the text of the license in full, while this doesn’t have to be in the LICENSE file it’s a good idea to do so or includes a pointer to the full text in the license. [1]

[...]

Given the large number of issues it likely I may of missed something. For instance I would double check all of the JS files bundled as some of them don’t seem to be mentioned in license i.e. modernizr [15]

Other licensing issues:
- I don’t believe CC by 2.5 licensed WebAppers Progress Bar would be allowed to be bundled in an Apache releases as the license is listed in Category B and can’t in included in source form. [2]

Posted by Jan van Doorn <jv...@knutsel.com>.
I removed the link.

We’ll review the other issues you mention tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Rgds,
JvD

Posted by Jan van Doorn <jv...@knutsel.com>.