Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2013/05/12 12:33:18 UTC

Help on testing, reviewing patches before committing

Hi dear Apache OFBiz users,

We have currently around 850 opened Jira issues, and within, 134 issues with patches provided. Obviously we, committers, can't cope alone with the contribution activity (remember, it's benevolent work).

Some time ago we had a dicussion between PMC (Project Management Committee https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/JoB2) members about how to improve the quality and quantity of patches committed.

We want to ask you, users, to help test, review and vote on pending issues, notably those with patches provided.

We even discussed a voting/vetting process with a number of votes threshold. We would not review or commit issues that don't have more than a threshold number of votes and maybe at least one person other than the person who opened the issue who claims to have reviewed the code and tested it.  I suggest this would not be a rule, a but a rule of thumb to be adjusted by experience. We could test it during a period and then fix the threshold (number of votes) and maybe other rules like diversity (sometimes you would notice votes from persons of the same company than the contributor), etc.

Hopefully this would give contributors an incentive to solicit help from others in the community, leading to more community interaction and along with it more useful expectations, and eventually better quality and quantity of patches committed.

We could begin this process today with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4472

Thanks for your attention, and, as ever, all suggestions are welcome.

Jacques

Re: Help on testing, reviewing patches before committing

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi OFBiz users,

Please continue to support the project by reviewing, testing and voting in Jira issues. Comments and opinions are also welcome.
Here is a list of the Jira issues with patches available https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12314132
You can reuse this "Patch Available in OFBiz" public filter at any moment

Thanks for your help

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Pierre,

I will not attend the teleconference, for 3 reasons:

1. I don't believe it will be possible to seriously expose issues and find solutions during a teleconference with "so much" attendees, even with less
attendees anyway.
2. We should keep our discussion inside the complete OFBiz community. This is to what this ML is intended for. I believe for this kind of discussion,
it's better to go the written way. I'm afraid else we will paying us only by words.
3. I'd not like to be regarded as an OFBiz committer who support this initiative against the PMC I'm part of. I don't mean being against the PMC as a
whole is your intention, but some could regard it as is.

However, I find your initiative interesting because you raised valid points. I think we should continue to exchange as a community on this ML
(still-active-PMC-members-included). To clearly define, find a consensus on:

1) What is not going well
2) Solutions for those problems

So, in my opinion, it's more about respect on both sides 1st. Those who are the guardians of the dogma and those who want to change the dogma.

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
To become a committer you need first to be a contributor
https://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices

Jacques

Posted by Mandeep Sidhu <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Pierre,

Do you mean that you would be ready to help with such an effort?

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

I stumbled upon this by chance today.

Finally we ended up with a list of Contributors in OFBADMIN space which something completely different. Because people in this list are only those who
requested an access to the wiki.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Contributors

I'd not say though that this initiative was useless. I can testify that people reviews and tests helped me to have more and better commits, and I hope
this will continue (those who did will recognize themselves).
Now I'm not sure we will ever be able to keep a record of those efforts and maintain a page in wiki for that...

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.