Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org> on 2010/06/22 14:01:49 UTC

Re: [Wine] moved to Ubuntu 10.04 no space on /home

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 16:29 +0200, Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 14:43, dimesio <wi...@winehq.org> wrote:
>

> > Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
> > >
> > > You can use a prefix at configure time; look in ./configure --help
> > >

> > The prefix set by configure specifies where Wine itself is installed. It
> > has nothing the do with the wineprefix.
> >

> Yeah I know. I thought there might be some kind of  option to set a
> different "default" wineprefix (had no direct
> access to a wine 'configure --help' output). Bad wording. My mistake.
>
> To use a wineprefix other than the default you need to set the WINEPREFIX
> > environment variable.
> > http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-faf9617c53607e583f6e6ff70a4ac9522d490faf
> >

> That won't help him since he wants to move his applications, not reinstall
> them all under a different prefix as I understood.

He can move .wine and everything in it to another Linux filing system.
Lets say that is mounted as /wineapps. First, move .wine and everything
in it to the new filing system:

	mv .wine /wineapps/wine_prefix

Then point to it with a symlink:

	ln -s /wineapps/wine_prefix .wine

after which, "wine my_app" should work the same as before.

Personally. I'd move it but build a tiny wrapper script rather than use
the symlink:

=========== tiny wrapper script ===============
!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=/wineapps/wine_prefix
cd $WINEPREFIX/path_to_app
wine name_of_app.exe

and keep my wrapper script collection in ~/bin:

cd		                   # make sure we're in $HOME
mkdir bin                          # create bin
gedit bin/tiny_wrapper_script      # create the script
chmod u+x bin/tiny_wrapper_script  # make it executable

And add bin to the search part for this user:

echo "export PATH=$PATH:~/bin" >>~.bash_profile

Now, after logging out and in again to pick up the extended search path,
running the command "tiny_wrapper_script" will run your Wine
application.

Now you have a wrapper script, you can make a launcher for it, so
clicking the launcher icon will run the app *and* you can run it from
the command line by typing the script's name. Its also easy to copy and
edit the wrapper script each time yo install another Wine app.

Martin