Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Paulo Siqueira <pa...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/07 22:07:38 UTC

using shindig

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how to use Shindig in my container. If I understood
correctly after investigating the code a little bit, I must basically
implement PersonService and ActivityService. Is this correct? If not, what
should I do?

My plan is to use Shindig to make my webapp OpenSocial conformant. This is
what I can do with this project, right?

[]s,

--
Paulo Renato C. Siqueira
http://www.jcranky.com

Re: using shindig

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
See all that shindig does is render a gadget xml into html (ok and provide
the data api for communicating social information), in other words what it
does is that it turns:
http://www.labpixies.com/campaigns/todo/todo.xml
into:
http://modules.partuza.nl/gadgets/ifr?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.labpixies.com%2Fcampaigns%2Ftodo%2Ftodo.xml

it's not in any way, shape or form front-end code for creating iGoogle like
systems, nor do we ever want to do that .. Shindig is meant for existing
sites (that have an existing front-end) to add OpenSocial support... What
your looking for is a portal system, a javascript library or any other kind
of front-end solution, very different things

RE: using shindig

Re: using shindig

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
>  to speak in flawed metaphors: it's only the engine that does one certain
> thing (rendering gadgets), but you still have to build a card around it :)

s/card/car ... bah damn typos, sorry about that

Re: using shindig

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
Hey Parrott,

RE: using shindig

Re: using shindig

Posted by Paulo Siqueira <pa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I think I did that first step ok, but I can´t test it yet.
When I try to access ´http://localhost:8080/primata/social/rest/test´ I get
this error:

HTTP Status 401 - The request did not have a proper security token nor oauth
message and unauthenticated requests are not allowedI´m not familiar with
OAuth yet, so maybe I´m doing something terribly wrong.

Also, I didn´t put everything from the shindig web.xml in my own web.xml -
for now, I´m trying to run only the RESTApi, I´m not worried with gadgets
for the time being.

Is there some documentation on how I should proceed when it comes to
authentication and authorization?

thank you!

[]s,

--
Paulo Renato C. Siqueira
http://www.jcranky.com

Re: using shindig

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Re: using shindig

Posted by Paulo Siqueira <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Re: using shindig

Posted by Christian Schalk <cs...@google.com>.
Ha ha! Sorry for sleeping while all this discussion was going on. :-)
Yes, you are correct this is a tutorial that I put together last Spring for
Google IO and for a JavaOne presentation.

Since a lot of changes went into Shindig over the summer, I can update it to

Re: using shindig

Posted by Chirag Shah <ch...@gmail.com>.

--
Chirag Shah // (214) - 542 - 3385 (Mobile)

Re: using shindig

Posted by Paulo Siqueira <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: using shindig

Posted by Paulo Siqueira <pa...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I'm interested in the Java version. That URL would be great =)

[]s,

--
Paulo Renato C. Siqueira
http://www.jcranky.com

Re: using shindig

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

Re: using shindig

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
Ps, shindig does render the gadgets that are written for the (iGoogle)
'gadget specification', but if you just want internal self developed gadgets
in your own controlled envirionment, there's really no need for such
overkill, you could build your own simple web-app-in-iframe solution.

If you want to include the iGoogle gadgets that don't use features like
finance (which is iGoogle only until someone writes a public replacement),
or even OpenSocial gadgets, then shindig def is the best way of doing so.

Re: using shindig

Posted by peeyush gulati <pe...@gmail.com>.
Dear Parrott

Do correct me if i am going wrong in aspect to what you asked ?

You simply need a container on which you can run gadgets through an intra
net site of your company.
You are not willing to include the social aspects of it through as in
friends, profiles etc

Ok this would work only if you are running I/O gadgets which have got no
relation with people, persistence of data what they are doing or maintaining
activities as you do not want to have the social aspects of it.

Also another the possible way out could be include all these aspects(people,
persistence,data) from your intra nets main page and you could get all
things set.

Hope i answered your questions

Cheers
Peeyush