Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2002/12/12 21:20:14 UTC

Re: OT: Subversion logo lookalike

Jesper Steen Møller <je...@selskabet.org> writes:

> I've just noticed that the S logo of  the Danish Radio Sports
> programmes looks a lot like the Subversion logo.
>
> The logo is featured top(ish)left on this page.
> http://www.dr.dk/sporten/
>
> I doubt it's enough for a lawsuit...

Heh... trow pointed out recently that it also looks like the
Swisher logo (as in "Sanitized by Swisher", the company that makes
such wonderful products as rubber urinal 'targets').

   http://www.swisheronline.com/

Re: OT: Subversion logo lookalike

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> Jesper Steen Møller  writes:
>

> >I've just noticed that the S logo of  the Danish Radio Sports
> >programmes looks a lot like the Subversion logo.
> >
> >The logo is featured top(ish)left on this page.
> >http://www.dr.dk/sporten/
> >
> >I doubt it's enough for a lawsuit...
>

> Heh... trow pointed out recently that it also looks like the
> Swisher logo (as in "Sanitized by Swisher", the company that makes
> such wonderful products as rubber urinal 'targets').

Great. "I piss on your logo!"

Seriously, the only similarity I see with these is that they're all big
'S's. The color and font are different. The Subversion one has the four
dots. The aspect ratio of the backgrounds are a little different, and
the car one isn't even a rectangle. That's a lot of differences for
logos that are so simple. I think it's pretty safe.

Thanks,
Scott

Re: OT: Subversion logo lookalike

Posted by Daniel Berlin <db...@dberlin.org>.
On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 04:20  PM, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> Jesper Steen Møller <je...@selskabet.org> writes:
>
>> I've just noticed that the S logo of  the Danish Radio Sports
>> programmes looks a lot like the Subversion logo.
>>
>> The logo is featured top(ish)left on this page.
>> http://www.dr.dk/sporten/
>>
>> I doubt it's enough for a lawsuit...
>
> Heh... trow pointed out recently that it also looks like the
> Swisher logo (as in "Sanitized by Swisher", the company that makes
> such wonderful products as rubber urinal 'targets').
>
>    http://www.swisheronline.com/

While I can't find any US trademark registrations for Danish Radio
Sports, the Swisher logo is registered:

TESS was last updated on Thu Dec 12 04:10:42 EST 2002

Logout Please logout when you are done to release system resources
allocated for you.
Start 	List At:	OR
	Jump 	to record:	Record 5 out of 10
(TARR contains current status, correspondence address and attorney of
record for this mark. Use the "Back" button of the Internet Browser to
return to TESS)

Word Mark	S SWISHER
Goods and Services	IC 037. US 100 103. G & S: cleaning and sanitizing
of restrooms in commercial buildings. FIRST USE: 19870000. FIRST USE IN
COMMERCE: 19870000
Mark Drawing Code	(3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code	261110 261121
Serial Number	74250147
Filing Date	February 27, 1992
Published for Opposition	October 13, 1992
Registration Number	1744818
Registration Date	January 5, 1993
Owner	(REGISTRANT) Swisher International, Inc. CORPORATION NEVADA 6849
Fairview Road Post Office Box 222115 Charlotte NORTH CAROLINA 282222115
Assignment Recorded	ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record	MARTHA GAYLE BARBER
Type of Mark	SERVICE MARK
Register	PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text	SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator	LIVE

Their registered logo includes the "Swisher" at the bottom.

Damn:
Word Mark	SUBVERSIONS
Goods and Services	IC 030. US 046. G & S: sandwiches for consumption on
or off restaurant premises. FIRST USE: 19951000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE:
19961000

IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: contract food management services, cafeteria
and restaurant services, catering services, and corporate dining room
services. FIRST USE: 19951000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19961000

There goes the sandwich carts we were planning.
--Dan