Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Serge Bykov <dd...@yahoo.com> on 2013/07/26 22:30:19 UTC

Upgrading 0.5.3 to 0.6

Hi.

We like the new hierarchical layout of 0.6 and were wondering what is the upgrade path to take an installed version of 0.5.3 to 0.6 properly?

Also note, the Jira2Trac utility breaks on ticket.create() when running directly against 0.6 and the components/milestones/versions/etc are invisible in the new layout after imported by the utility as product column is empty.

Thanks!
Serge

Re: Upgrading 0.5.3 to 0.6

Posted by Matevž Bradač <ma...@digiverse.si>.
On 31. Jul, 2013, at 20:17, Serge Bykov wrote:

> Hi.
>
>> "to upgrade BH (library/ plugins) code and (optionally) dependencies, then run trac-admin
>> upgrade ."
>
> I was think of trac-admin upgrade, but I haven't tried it as I am not sure whether it will magically add the new tables to the DB and relevant python code related to product hierarchies. How do we upgrade the BH library/plugins and which ones?  And what will happen to the existing components/version/etc that should not belong to a product but currently have the product column as empty in 0.5.3 version? Will they disappear from the UI?  My hunch is that the plausable default output will not be a favourable one so I was hoping for a comment from someone who coded the product hierarchy changes of 0.6.

Hi,

The 0.5.3 release already contained most of the code for multiproduct support,
it was just not exposed (much) on the UI side. You were able to create a
product and assign tickets to it, however milestones, components etc. were not
bound to products.
When you upgrade to 0.6, the following shall happen:
1. A default product will be created (named 'Default', prefix '@')
2. Tickets not assigned to any product in 0.5.3 ("global" ones) will be moved
   to the default product in 0.6
3. Components, milestones etc. that were user-defined in 0.5.3 will be
   copied to each product in 0.6, and then removed from global scope.
   Each product thus gets its own copies, and you can add/remove them freely
   on per-product basis, as this won't affect other products.

Hope this helps, and please do try upgrading - if only for testing purposes.
Any feedback regarding upgrade issues, UI or whatever you (dis)like will be
much appreciated.

--
matevz

Re: Upgrading 0.5.3 to 0.6

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 7/31/13, Serge Bykov <dd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi.

:)

>>"to upgrade BH (library/ plugins) code and (optionally) dependencies, then
>> run trac-admin
>>upgrade ."
>
> I was think of trac-admin upgrade, but I haven't tried it as I am not sure
> whether it will magically add the new tables to the DB and relevant python
> code related to product hierarchies. How do we upgrade the BH
> library/plugins and which ones?  And what will happen to the existing
> components/version/etc that should not belong to a product but currently
> have the product column as empty in 0.5.3 version? Will they disappear from
> the UI?  My hunch is that the plausable default output will not be a
> favourable one

I see what you mean ...

> so I was hoping for a comment from someone who coded the
> product hierarchy changes of 0.6.

Well, many persons were involved on coding 0.6 multi-product support .
I'm one of them ... but TBH these particular features related to
upgrades, DB access, etc are not the one I'm more familiar with . I've
not tried this upgrade path on my local dev environment and the
instances I run have been either installed from scratch or migrated
from Trac=0.11 / 0.12 .

Nevertheless , considering the fact that I see some test cases for
upgrades , it seems to me that (at least part of) this has been tested
. Anyway, let's better wait for the reply of a dev more experienced on
the field of DB & upgrades , if you prefer .

[...]

Olemis - @olemislc

Re: Upgrading 0.5.3 to 0.6

Posted by Serge Bykov <dd...@yahoo.com>.
Hi.

>"to upgrade BH (library/ plugins) code and (optionally) dependencies, then run trac-admin
>upgrade ."

I was think of trac-admin upgrade, but I haven't tried it as I am not sure whether it will magically add the new tables to the DB and relevant python code related to product hierarchies. How do we upgrade the BH library/plugins and which ones?  And what will happen to the existing components/version/etc that should not belong to a product but currently have the product column as empty in 0.5.3 version? Will they disappear from the UI?  My hunch is that the plausable default output will not be a favourable one so I was hoping for a comment from someone who coded the product hierarchy changes of 0.6.

Thanks
Serge

________________________________
> We like the new hierarchical layout of 0.6

\o/

> and were wondering what is the
> upgrade path to take an installed version of 0.5.3 to 0.6 properly?

I honestly have not tried the upgrade path myself recently . I'm
guessing that the recommended procedure will be to upgrade BH (library
/ plugins) code and (optionally) dependencies, then run trac-admin
upgrade .

Have you tried that option ? Have you experienced any issues ?

> Also note, the Jira2Trac utility breaks on ticket.create() when running
> directly against 0.6 and the components/milestones/versions/etc are
> invisible in the new layout after imported by the utility as product column
> is empty.

I've not reviewed it's code, but this makes me wonder about whether
it's a script writing directly to the DB tables . Anyway, at this
moment afaik the only things needed after import are:

  1. add product prefix in `product` columns .
  2. Move attachments somewhere inside /products env folder

These adjustments have to be performed by hand . Maybe there's a
better way to get this done ... but I do not know of any .

Olemis - @olemislc

Apache™ Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound
http://blood-hound.net