Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2004/05/03 19:41:58 UTC

Re: [VOTE]: motion to transform Xerces into a top-level project as a member of the "federation" of XML projects

Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> All thoughts welcome!  I'd very much like to understand what everyone's
> feelings are in relation to making Xerces (and the other sub-projects)
> TLPs.

I'm in support of making Xerces a top-level project as long
as my concerns with the draft charter are addressed.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: [VOTE]: motion to transform Xerces into a top-level project as a member of the "federation" of XML projects

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@cyberneko.net>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> The board resolution I proposed described Xerces as charged with
> responsibility for the "creation and maintenance of open-source software
> related to XML parsers".
>
> So I would imagine the notion of sub-elements of code within the TLP
> would be just as high level.  A sub-project would simply be a section of
>  code with a community that looked at some element of XML parsing.
> Does that make sense?

Sounds good.

>  (Is XML parsing too confined?)

I don't think so. That's exactly what the Xerces project is
about. (And APIs generated from parsing XML documents.)

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: [VOTE]: motion to transform Xerces into a top-level project as a member of the "federation" of XML projects

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@cyberneko.net>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> The board resolution I proposed described Xerces as charged with
> responsibility for the "creation and maintenance of open-source software
> related to XML parsers".
>
> So I would imagine the notion of sub-elements of code within the TLP
> would be just as high level.  A sub-project would simply be a section of
>  code with a community that looked at some element of XML parsing.
> Does that make sense?

Sounds good.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> I don't see any problem with have a PMC that deals with all
> Xerces implementations but still considering the different
> implementations "projects" with their own sub-projects. For
> example, Xerces-J could have an HTML sub-project with the
> HTML DOM implementation and an HTML parser built from the
> Xerces framework. But the draft charter was explicit about
> defining a sub-project as an XML parser implementation in a
> particular language.

The board resolution I proposed described Xerces as charged with
responsibility for the "creation and maintenance of open-source software
related to XML parsers".

So I would imagine the notion of sub-elements of code within the TLP
would be just as high level.  A sub-project would simply be a section of
  code with a community that looked at some element of XML parsing.

Does that make sense?  (Is XML parsing too confined?)

Re: [VOTE]: motion to transform Xerces into a top-level project as a member of the "federation" of XML projects

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 4 May 2004, at 19:09, Andy Clark wrote:
> Berin Lautenbach wrote:

<snip>

>> You'll have to pardon me here - what were the exact issues you had
>> with the charter?  I think there was a piece around top level code
>> base?
>
> Very simply: the draft charter defined Xerces sub-projects
> as parser implementations in different languages. And it had
> no allowance for sub-projects for a particular parser impl.
>
> I don't see any problem with have a PMC that deals with all
> Xerces implementations but still considering the different
> implementations "projects" with their own sub-projects. For
> example, Xerces-J could have an HTML sub-project with the
> HTML DOM implementation and an HTML parser built from the
> Xerces framework. But the draft charter was explicit about
> defining a sub-project as an XML parser implementation in a
> particular language.

IMHO sub-projects are at the root of most of the difficulties over in
jakarta-land.

it's much better to have a single community (corresponding to a
sub-project) with several products (for example the different parser
implementations) than many sub-projects. there might be parts of each
community that focus most on different products but sharing the same
infrastructure help ideas to be exchanged and potential problems picked
up early. (jakarta commons has a score or more of products but the
single community model has helped to make it a real success.)

- robert

Re: [VOTE]: motion to transform Xerces into a top-level project as a member of the "federation" of XML projects

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@cyberneko.net>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Note that one does not preclude the other.  The decision as to whether
> or not to become a TLP should not rest on the charter, although I think
> it is good to understand how the project is going to run prior to
> starting :>.

Agreed.

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@cyberneko.net>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Note that one does not preclude the other.  The decision as to whether
> or not to become a TLP should not rest on the charter, although I think
> it is good to understand how the project is going to run prior to
> starting :>.

Agreed.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Note that one does not preclude the other.  The decision as to whether
or not to become a TLP should not rest on the charter, although I think
it is good to understand how the project is going to run prior to
starting :>.

You'll have to pardon me here - what were the exact issues you had with
the charter?  I think there was a piece around top level code base?

Cheers,
	Berin

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.