Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/07/01 22:40:59 UTC

Re: [DISCUSSION] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

BTW I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention the work done over in
HADOOP-9421. Sanjay Radia has been telling me that a corresponding work
should be done in HBase as well. That will help keep the compatibility
story straight when the work to do with pluggable authentication mechanisms
happening elsewhere in the ecosystem takes shape..

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Devaraj

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> BTW I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention the work done over in
> HADOOP-9421. Sanjay Radia has been telling me that a corresponding work
> should be done in HBase as well. That will help keep the compatibility
> story straight when the work to do with pluggable authentication mechanisms
> happening elsewhere in the ecosystem takes shape..
>
> Any thoughts?

There is no description of what was finally decided on?

Looks like client initiates and then server and client can negotiate?

Can't we up the rpc version when we want to add support for negotiated
protocols?  If so, this does not have to hold up 0.96?

St.Ack

Re: [DISCUSSION] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> However doing the equivalent patch
> for HADOOP-9421 in HBase will probably be easier and doable for 0.96...

If someone shows up with a patch equivalent to HADOOP-9421 for HBase real
soon now let's look at it. Maybe that is good enough and we will be able to
finesse common authentication on top of two divergent RPC stacks.

Let me throw out there a third way: Hadoop and HBase gets together right
now in a "protobuf RPC wire format working group" and solves at least the
wire side of the problem before one or the other ships something that has
to be set going forward. On the HBase side, that's happening real soon now,
perhaps as early as the end of the month.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSSION] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > > so we might look at using Hadoop RPC directly again?
> >
> > Totally agree with that thought, Andrew. I must admit that I don't know
> > about all the context on why the HBase RPC forked in the first place :-)
> >

> Bug fixes and speed optimizations
>

> > Your suggestion on using the Hadoop RPC work here makes sense. I am not
> too
> > sure whether that is practical in the short term though (we would need to
> > put in Tracing framework calls in Hadoop RPC and so on). IMO this will
> > further delay the 0.96 shipping as well. However doing the equivalent
> patch
> > for HADOOP-9421 in HBase will probably be easier and doable for 0.96...
> >

> That patch won't go in to hbase.  Can you sketch the back and forth finally
> decided upon in an issue?  If you do this, I could help on how you might
> get it in.

I meant to say that using Hadoop RPC with changes needed for HBase to work
makes sense (and, of course, not the patch directly from HADOOP-9421 :-) )

But I'll write up the proposal implemented in HADOOP-9421 in a HBASE jira
and we can go from there.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > That patch won't go in to hbase.
>

> What if we and Hadoop can come up with a common RPC connection setup, like
> PB-based SASL negotiation and a common version header? Then there are
> options post-singularity.

Hopefully, the HADOOP-9421 is a step in that direction. I am going to spend
some time on HADOOP-9421.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.