Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2016/03/09 18:34:22 UTC

Speculating about the removal of the standalone Solr mode

I've been thinking about the fact that standalone and cloud modes in
Solr are very different.

The writing on the wall suggests that Solr will eventually (probably 7.0
minimum) eliminate the standalone mode and always operate with
zookeeper.  A "standalone" node would in fact be a single-node cloud
running the embedded zookeeper.

Once zk-as-truth becomes a reality, I can see a few advantages to always
running in cloud mode.  The documentation can include one way to
accomplish basic tasks.  The CoreAdmin API can be eliminated, and any
required functionality fully merged into the Collections API.
CloudSolrClient will work for all installations.  A script that works
for cloud mode will also work for standalone mode, because that's just a
smaller cloud.

I was planning to open an issue to discuss and implement this.  If
that's not a good idea, please let me know.

None of my main Solr installations are running in cloud mode, so the
removal of standalone mode will be an inconvenience for me, but I still
think it's the right thing to do in the long term.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: Speculating about the removal of the standalone Solr mode

Posted by "Dyer, James" <Ja...@ingramcontent.com>.
I would think it unfortunate if this ever happens.  Solr in non-cloud mode is simple, easy-to-understand, has few moving parts.  Many installations do not need to shard, have real-time-updates, etc.  Using the replication handler in "legacy mode" works great for us.  The config files are on the filesystem.  You need not learn a cli to interact with zookeeper, etc.  I would be scared to death running cloud mode in Production if I didn't first obtain an in-depth understanding of zookeeper internals.

I can see if there is a huge burden imposed here and if almost all use-cases require cloud.  But as for "api consolidation", there are few api's you need to learn if running non-cloud.  So what stops us from focusing apis on the need of cloud installations?  And the documentation for non-cloud ought to be simple to maintain, there's so much less to learn and know.

For those of you that work as consultants or for support providers, it may seem that everyone is running cloud mode.  But my guess is those who run cloud mode are the ones that cannot get by without your services.

James Dyer
Ingram Content Group

Posted by Rida Benjelloun <ri...@gmail.com>.
Personnaly I Think that is very good Idea. In Constellio we use solr cloud
and zookeeper for sharding. I think that   the way  you suggest will
simplify and normalise the code.
Regards.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
>From Alfresco's point of view this would be a bad thing. Alfresco uses Solr
in stand alone mode and has developed an entire sharding and replication
model that fit's the ECM use case. So being forced to have ZooKeeper and
Solr Cloud would not be ideal.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/