Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/26 14:37:06 UTC

Plugin configuration in pluginManagement?

Apache commons has a "parent" pom[1] used by the 34 or so components
that are part of that project.

We had some configuration for the maven-compiler-plugin in the
build/plugins section, but this has been moved to the
build/pluginManagement/plugins section [2] and I'm wondering what the
implications (if any) there are of this.

So for example, we had something like the following:

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <source>${maven.compile.source}</source>
          <target>${maven.compile.target}</target>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

..and now we have

  <build>
    <pluginManagement>
        <plugin>
          <version>2.0.2</version>
          <configuration>
            <source>${maven.compile.source}</source>
            <target>${maven.compile.target}</target>
            <encoding>${commons.encoding}</encoding>
          </configuration>
        </plugin>
    </pluginManagement>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

Anyone know what the implications are of moving the configuration to
the pluginManagement section?

Niall

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=613456