Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/09/11 03:56:44 UTC

Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies

Hi,

Has anything been resolved/decided in regards speakers and what is/isn't covered? My talk just been accepted but I'm not clear of if I need to organise a conference ticket or accommodation.

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere and I've missed it.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Are you willing to play guinea pig?
Sure. I'll will email planners.

I know this issue isn't unique to this conference, I run into this on "Open Conference Expectations" the other month:
https://gist.github.com/3098860

While I don't agree with all of the "demands" (or the tone) the discussion is interesting.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Justin Mclean wrote:
> It does however put me (and I assume a few other speakers) in a position
> of were I'm unsure of what the full cost will be. It would help to know
> the full costs (ticket and accommodation) before I have to book my
> flight, the longer I leave that the more expensive it's likely to be.

Are you willing to play guinea pig? We could certainly share details with
you today if you're able to help us with testing out the process /
notification details / etc. Drop an email to planners@ if you're willing
to do so

Nick

Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> All speakers will be emailed in a week or two with details of how to register
Thanks for clearing that up.

It does however put me (and I assume a few other speakers) in a position of were I'm unsure of what the full cost will be. It would help to know the full costs (ticket and accommodation) before I have to book my flight, the longer I leave that the more expensive it's likely to be.

My TAC application was unsuccessful and as I'm self employed so the cost of attending the conference cost is an important consideration.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Has anything been resolved/decided in regards speakers and what is/isn't
> covered? My talk just been accepted but I'm not clear of if I need to
> organise a conference ticket or accommodation.

All speakers will be emailed in a week or two with details of how to
register (including details of the option very very heavily discounted
ticket), and what to do about hotels. For now, you just need to reply to
your notification email saying you want to speak. We'll email all the
speakers with more details, once we have all the replies in!

Nick