Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/05/30 22:25:22 UTC

Becoming hadoop subproject

Hi,

What do people think about becoming a Hadoop subproject?

A couple of advantages of this approach:

- Having direct access to hadoop user community would be good for Pig
adoption
- Being part of a more mature open source project would help in
attracting more developers and committers. Also, it will allow us to
avoid the cost of administrative overhead.

Now this, of course, would not mean architecturally depending on Hadoop.
I believe that maintaining backend independence is an important goal for
Pig.

Comments?

Olga

Re: Becoming hadoop subproject

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> 1) Provide the current hadoop distributions with PIG integrated. (Should
> be communicated with the hadoop project of course)

For Pig to ship as a part of Hadoop Core releases, Pig would probably
need to become a part of Hadoop Core, e.g., as a contrib module.  It
makes more sense for Hadoop to ship as a part of Pig releases.

Doug

Re: Becoming hadoop subproject

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Olga Natkovich wrote:
> So seems like the current thinking is that it is a good idea for Pig to
> join Hadoop at a later point. For now Pig needs to focus on making
> progress on its own, perhaps trying for an incubator release? Is this
> correct? Any other opinions?

A release from the incubator would be great progress towards graduation.

Doug

RE: Becoming hadoop subproject

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Olston <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
We are working on a Pig Tutorial, scheduled to be placed on the
apache site in June.

-Chris

On Jun 2, 2008, at 5:27 AM, pi song wrote:

> 1) Whether we're becoming a subproject or not, this idea is a kind
> of cool.
> We can just ship out as a utility in Hadoop to harvest more users.
> More Pig
> users = more Hadoop users anyway so it doesn't seem to conflict with
> anything.
>
> 2) Let's do like the way they promoted Ruby on Rails. Wow!! you can
> make a
> website in 5 minutes!!
>
> Pi
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Currently, there are really 1-2 people that pop out in design
>> discussions.
>>> would agree on anything that will make us more like a real
>>> community!
>>>
>>> However, the main idea will never change. The more usable
>>> application =
>>> more

--
Christopher Olston, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Scientist

Re: Becoming hadoop subproject

Posted by pi song <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by pi song <pi...@gmail.com>.
Currently, there are really 1-2 people that pop out in design discussions. I

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.