Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Feng Wang <fw...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/24 11:10:58 UTC

Confusion when getting policySets in PolicyProvider

Hi,all
    I look into the policy framework code,but there is some confusion on
PolicyProvider get the policySets.I found the method for getting policySets
is 'getApplicablePolicySets' in some modules[1],but I think the mothod should
be the 'getPolicySets',not the 'getApplicablePolicySets'.

Am I wrong,can someone clarify this?

[1]	tuscany-policy-transaction
	tuscany-policy-security
	tuscany-policy-logging

--------------
Feng Wang
2008-12-24

Re: Confusion when getting policySets in PolicyProvider

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Feng Wang <fw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,all
>    I look into the policy framework code,but there is some confusion on
> PolicyProvider get the policySets.I found the method for getting policySets
> is 'getApplicablePolicySets' in some modules[1],but I think the mothod
> should
> be the 'getPolicySets',not the 'getApplicablePolicySets'.
>
> Am I wrong,can someone clarify this?
>
> [1]     tuscany-policy-transaction
>        tuscany-policy-security
>        tuscany-policy-logging
>
> --------------
> Feng Wang
> 2008-12-24
>
> Hi

I think you are right. This applicablePolicySets field contains the policy
sets that could be applied. The policySets field should contain the policy
sets that have been applied. By using applicable policy sets instead of just
policy sets we could be picking up policy sets that don't actually apply.
Having said that the policy tests are passing at the momement so it would be
interesting to try the change and see if any differences are detected. There
may be some different in behaviour of these fields that I'm not aware of.
Have you tried this already?

Regards

Simon