Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> on 2002/11/21 23:06:10 UTC

Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC

Emir <em...@usask.ca> writes:
> Daniel Rall wrote:

> > I made objectParsed() protected today.  What's your use case for each?
> >
> Jxta xml-rpc library uses XmlRpc class (extends it), and uses
> objectParsed() (and parse() as well). The goal is to use Apache
> xmlrpc.jar without modification.

Certainly.  Our goal as well.  :-)

> But since objectParsed is not accessible, initial implementor
> changed the method to public and recompiled.

Since you're extending XmlRpc, and the method is now protected, this
should no longer be an issue with CVS HEAD.

> Another programmer tried to extend the package org.apache.xmlrpc to
> include jxta classes, but the problem is then inconsistency with
> package content. These were not very clean solutions to my mind.

I agree -- better to refactor the core framework to make it more
easily extensionable.

> What I am doing is replicating XmlRpc class within jxta xmlrpc
> package, so 2 other classes can extend it with objectParsed(). This
> seems like a best solution to me now, since it allows for use of
> apache library in the original form. I see that you are making some
> major changes to the apache library.

Yes, but at the same time it will remain as backwards compatible as
possible.

> If you decide to make objectParsed accessible outside of package
> maybe, it would allow for easier extensions by users.

It is, as of my last email.  :-)

> You probably had the similar thing in mind with *Processor classes.
> Thank you for the updates, I will see what I can do in jxta. I can
> foresee another major overhaul of jxta xmlrpc once the apache
> library releases new version. Some concepts you are developing like
> standalone *Worker and *Processor classes are what we alredy use in
> jxta.

Great!  Good to know that the use case is already being applied.

> As far as the DateTool is concerned, jxta classes would also use it, as
> they extend XmlRpc.

I have moved it into a util sub-package and made it public -- it is
now org.apache.xmlrpc.util.DateTool.

This issues that you've brought up so far are now taken care of.
Please let us know what other tweaks would make the library more
easily embeddable -- this is an important use case for most of us.
Also, if you plan on adopting CVS HEAD, let me know and I will slap
another tag on the repository.

> > > I am trying to make a jxta xml-rpc package that uses org.apache.xmlrpc,
> > > but I have to copy a lot of stuff just because of visibility.
> >
> > Let's see what we can do about that.  Shall we move this discussion to
> > the rpc-dev@xml.apache.org list?  Folks there are quite receptive to
> > enhancment requests.
> Maybe later, when I manage to figure out everything what we need to
> adapt the jxta to xmlrpc. I will then subscribe.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Andrew Evers" <ae...@redwood.nl> writes:

> > This issues that you've brought up so far are now taken care of.
> > Please let us know what other tweaks would make the library more
> > easily embeddable -- this is an important use case for most of us.
> > Also, if you plan on adopting CVS HEAD, let me know and I will slap
> > another tag on the repository.
>
> On the subject of tagging things, I would like to commit the transport
> independence changes I've been working on to the client code somewhere,
> in order to keep the ball rolling. I would prefer to commit them to
> HEAD if possible, but I'm willing to put them on an CLIENT_NG branch
> or similar.
>
> Most of the work is in making it easier to work with the client without
> having to use Vectors and Strings, and to separate the XML-RPC and HTTP
> layers on the client side as much as possible.
>
> The code is now quite well tested, as it is integrated into our system
> here, so, it really needs to be reviewed for acceptance more than
> tested (although extra testing is always good).

If you think it's ready for CVS HEAD, +1 on commit then review.
Otherwise, let's put it in a branch.  In any case, I'm looking forward
to seeing it in CVS.

Posted by josh lucas <jo...@stonecottage.com>.
On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 08:34 PM, Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> Daniel Rall wrote:
>
>> "Andrew Evers" <ae...@redwood.nl> writes:
>>
>>> Well, it depends on whether we will use a branch or a tag. I'd prefer
>>> not to use a branch, bit I don't really mind which. If there is any
>>> debate, let it be now (I think you guys are awake now, since it's
>>> evening here). If I don't hear anything I will tag whatever's in CVS
>>> with the next sensible pre tag and then commit all I have to HEAD. I
>>> can always back it out later ;)
>>>

>> Depending upon the size of your change, let's either tag what's there
>> as XMLRPC_1_2_A3, or branch it as XMLRPC_1_2_BRANCH and call the next
>> release 2.0.  Either way, you're free to work in HEAD.  How big are
>> your changes?  Do they warrant a major point release?
>>

> At this point we have several new features coming in:
> - abstracted transport
> - abstracted logging
> - subpackage reorganization and cleanup, possibly resulting in several
> JAR alternatives for our users
> - possibly the introspection and interceptors patch?
> - possibly Mavenizing the build and website
>
> If we end up with this many new features, I would call that a major
> point release.
>
> Would you guys comment on the above features?  Anything in there you
> would rather we didn't do?  Anything I missed?  Anything need more
> explanation?

Going by the above features, I think a major point release would be
warranted especially if we are going offer various jars for people to
grab.

josh

Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC

Posted by josh lucas <jo...@stonecottage.com>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Daniel Rall wrote:

>"Andrew Evers" <ae...@redwood.nl> writes:
>

>>Well, it depends on whether we will use a branch or a tag. I'd prefer
>>not to use a branch, bit I don't really mind which. If there is any
>>debate, let it be now (I think you guys are awake now, since it's
>>evening here). If I don't hear anything I will tag whatever's in CVS
>>with the next sensible pre tag and then commit all I have to HEAD. I
>>can always back it out later ;)
>>

>Depending upon the size of your change, let's either tag what's there
>as XMLRPC_1_2_A3, or branch it as XMLRPC_1_2_BRANCH and call the next
>release 2.0.  Either way, you're free to work in HEAD.  How big are
>your changes?  Do they warrant a major point release?

At this point we have several new features coming in:
 - abstracted transport
 - abstracted logging
 - subpackage reorganization and cleanup, possibly resulting in several
JAR alternatives for our users
 - possibly the introspection and interceptors patch?
 - possibly Mavenizing the build and website

If we end up with this many new features, I would call that a major
point release.

Would you guys comment on the above features?  Anything in there you
would rather we didn't do?  Anything I missed?  Anything need more
explanation?

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks
http://www.isisnetworks.net

Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Andrew Evers <ae...@redwood.nl>.
> OK, so I got my system hitting the repository over SSH, but it doesn't
> look like the code Andrew sent me has been committed yet.  Some of it
> is  there but theres no new branch and XmlRpcClient is still the old
> version  at least.
>
> Should I make a branch with the zip or wait for you to put it up
> Andrew?

Well, it depends on whether we will use a branch or a tag. I'd prefer
not to use a branch, bit I don't really mind which. If there is any
debate, let it be now (I think you guys are awake now, since it's
evening here). If I don't hear anything I will tag whatever's in CVS
with the next sensible pre tag and then commit all I have to HEAD. I
can always back it out later ;)

Andrew.

Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC

Posted by Andrew Evers <ae...@redwood.nl>.