Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Declan Shanaghy <ds...@w5networks.com> on 2008/10/07 23:37:57 UTC

Font hinting and kerning

Good afternoon all,

We are in the midst of designing an SVG based product on which the final
rasterized images

will be sent to a small dot matrix LCD.

There is some concern that small fonts may not render in the best
fashion for our display.

I am trying to find out if it is possible to provide extra hinting
and/or kerning rules to the font rasterization

engine used by Batik.

If that is not possible...would our only solution be to somehow override
the font rasterization engine completely?

I realize this would be a huge job. The point here is to try and figure
out how deep do we need to delve?

I am *very* new to font rasterization and 2D graphics in general so any
help at all in this area is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Declan Shanaghy

Re: Font hinting and kerning

Posted by Helder Magalhães <he...@gmail.com>.
> There is some concern that small fonts may not render in the best fashion
> for our display.

To increase text readability you may experiment the various
possibilities offered by the text rendering properties [1] (which, as
far as I know, Batik suports).

> I am trying to find out if it is possible to provide extra hinting and/or
> kerning rules to the font rasterization engine used by Batik.

Batik has a solid text implementation - it's one of the few
implementations which supports font face [2], for example, which this
should be enough for most font tweaking. Several font [3] and generic
text [4] samples are available within the framework.

Hope this helps,

  Helder Magalhães

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#TextRenderingProperty
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/fonts.html#FontFaceElement